Confirmed: University of Nottingham staff set to start strikes in two weeks time

The strikes will begin on February 1st

The UCU has confirmed the first date of strikes  affecting University of Nottingham students to be on February 1st – in two weeks time.

Over 70,000 UCU members at 150 university will take part in the industrial action with 18 days planned action over February and March.

It was confirmed last week that staff at the University of Nottingham would be taking part in strike action, due to continuing disputes over pay, conditions and attacks on pensions.

The days for further strikes are set to be announce next week.

UCU general secretary Jo Grady said: “Whilst the cost-of-living crisis rages, university vice-chancellors are dragging their feet and refusing to use the vast wealth in the sector to address over a decade of falling pay, rampant casualisation and massive pension cuts.

“On 1st February, 70,000 university staff will walk out alongside fellow trade unions and hundreds of thousands of other workers to demand their fair share.

“UCU remains committed to reaching a negotiated settlement, but if university employers don’t get serious and fast , more strike action will follow in February and March.”

• University of Nottingham staff set to strike for 18 days before Easter

• Emergency services called to the scene of a car on fire in Lenton

Lenton based vegan restaurant 13th Element announces closure due to cost of living crisis