New pro-life society approved by University of Manchester Students’ Union

Made up of two male students, the society is ‘supporting the dignity of every human life’

The University of Manchester now has a pro-life society.

Found within the activities section of the student union website, Manchester pro-life society aims to “create a Pro-Life culture on campus and support the dignity of every human life from conception.”

Made up of just two male committee members, the society currently has two upcoming events scheduled and is inviting students to find out more.

An Instagram page, which was created just over a month ago on January 11th, currently has three posts, one of which shares the societies objectives: “We aim to create a Pro-Life culture on campus, to engage students on life issues and promote respect for the dignity of human life from conception.”

The society is also asking people to “help promote life” and are holding their first event at the end of February to “celebrate the founding of the society” and share to people “why they should care”.

Titled “An introduction to the Pro-Life Society”, the event will consist of a talk given by the committee and a Q and A with discussion on being pro life on campus. It also aims to explain what the Pro-Life society is, as well as provide students with “what to expect in terms of activities and events, introducing the committee, what sort of issues the society will be talking about and why these are important.” The society plans to gather feedback in an “open discussion” on the future events and goals of the society.

Further details shared on an Instagram post read: “On Thursday 29th February at 7pm hear from our committee about what the Pro-Life society is and what we will be up to this semester and most importantly how you can help!

“There will be time for questions and a discussion about how and why we should be Pro-Life advocates on campus. We will be hosting this on campus, the location will be disclosed nearer the time. Hope to see you all there.”

A second event scheduled for March 4th titled “Why be Pro-Life?” will explore “the reasons for pro-life views, why they matter, and what you can do about it.”

The society is run by only two committee members, president George Vincent, who studies history of art at University of Manchester, and Jacob Karinatan, who is the society’s treasurer and is currently studying medicine. Its motto reads: “Supporting the dignity of every human life”.

Membership to the society is currently free via University of Manchester Students’ Union website and students can find out more about the society via the students’ union website.

Manchester pro-life society has been contacted for a comment.