Former Manchester student to face up to six months in prison after Just Stop Oil protest

Phoebe Plummer has been remanded to prison until May 16th 2024

A former University of Manchester student has been sentenced to six months in prison after taking part in a slow march to protest against oil and gas.

Phoebe Plummer was charged after they marched for a Just Stop Oil protest on Wednesday.

They have now been remanded in prison until May 16th 2024, Dazed reports.

Plummer first gained media attention after they threw soup on Van Gogh’s art in the National Gallery, explaining to The Tab Manchester they believed the artist “would’ve supported the method of non-violent, direct action”.

The 22-year-old appeared at Highbury Magistrates court yesterday afternoon, after marching alongside 66 other Just Stop oil supporters in London.

Judge McDonnell charged Plummer with a Public Order Act 2023 Section seven offence which relates to interference with operation of key national infrastructure.

Sentencing Plummer, Judge McDonnell said there were grounds to believe Phoebe would continue to protest if released and therefore ordered the remand to prison for a maximum of six months.

One of the six Just Stop Oil advocates imprisoned in the last two weeks, Plummer previously studied maths and computer science at the University of Manchester, before terminating their studies at the end of the 2021 academic year.

The former student argued that limiting their ability to protest in London would be an infringement on the right to protest, especially with London being where parliament and the House of Commons are located. When asked by the judge if she will continue to protest, she responded “I will continue exercising my human right to protest, yes”.

Upon remand to prison, Plummer said: “I will continue to march while they continue to licence new oil, gas and coal. How many more children have to die before you listen? How many more floods have to wipe out entire villages? How many people will die before you stop sending people like me to prison? Sir Mark Rowley has been handed a dossier of evidence. Why won’t you investigate the real criminals?”.

Plummer told Dazed that draconian protest laws won’t hold climate activists back. They said: “We’re not going to be intimidated by prison sentences when there’s so much more at stake,”.

Plummer will next appear in Southwark Crown Court on the 30th November to enter their plea.

Featured image via Just Stop Oil.