Suspect re-arrested on suspicion of terrorism for Arndale stabbings

He is currently in custody

Hide Images

The suspect currently in custody for the Arndale stabbings has been re-arrested on suspicion of terrorism.

The man in his 40s was originally arrested for serious assault, but has been re-arrested on the suspicion of the commission, preparation and instigation of an act of terrorism.

GMP have confirmed they do not yet know the motivation for the attack.

In a press conference this afternoon, Assistant Chief Constable Russ Jackson said two unarmed police community officers were in Exchange Court and attempted to confront the attacker. The attacker then  chased the officers with the knife. Previously he began lunging and attacking people.

Chief Constable Russ Jackson confirmed none of the injuries are life-threatening.

Police were at the scene and had the man detained on Market Street by armed officers five minutes after the call.

Armed patrols will be present around Manchester this weekend, with the hope “the city returns to normal” quickly. The force do not believe anyone else is involved in the attack.

Around midday today, police were called to the Arndale centre on reports of multiple stabbings. 

It was confirmed later three people, including an 19-year-old woman, were stabbed. Another person, who hadn’t been stabbed, was seen to by paramedics at the scene. Early reports suggested five people had been stabbed.

One eyewitness who was by the Arndale shopping centre at the time of the Manchester stabbings said: “Loads of shoppers ran out, then he ran out, threw the knife in a bin apparently then legged it. Then the police came out a second later and were like ‘where did he go?'”

GMP are requesting anyone with information or footage from the Arndale today to be sent in to gather evidence. Anyone with information should call the police on 101 quoting incident number 1055 of 11/10/2019, or the independent charity Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800555111.

Updates to follow.