London students stage protest outside Nigerian High Commission over ‘anti-poor’ policies

Protestors were also demanding the release of political prisoners

London students have staged a protest outside the Nigerian High Commission over the country’s supposed “anti-poor” policies.

Nigerian, British and other international students were also demanding the release of political prisoners.

The demonstration was inspired by the #endbadgovernance movement in Nigeria and activists arrested during the mass protests in August.

Socialist Students told the London Tab that they were greeted by a “friendly response” from staff in the high commission with one even encouraging them to continue.

In a statement, Socialist Students said: “Socialist Students was supporting a protest organised by a campaign group called Nigeria Solidarity UK, in solidarity with the #EndBadGovernance movement in Nigeria against the Tinubu regime’s anti-poor policies and government repression,

“Staff from the High Commission greeted us with a friendly response, and one member of staff even asked us to continue our protests.

“Although we are a student group, as socialists we stand in solidarity with the struggles of all workers and young people internationally.”

The political and economic crisis in Nigeria has had an effect on international students as well as those in the country, leaving many having to pay higher upfront fees or risk exclusion.

This has led to further campaigning by Socialist Students who said: “Last year we were also involved in campaigning to stop the deportation of Nigerian students, who were no longer able to afford their tuition fees due to political and economic crisis in Nigeria.”

The #EndBadGovernance protests in Nigeria were caused by a rising cost of living in the country and resulted in thousands of arrests and the deaths of at least 22 protesters.

The Nigerian High Commission has been contacted for comment.