Here’s how you can get involved with Grace’s Week 2023

In memory of Grace Millane

It’s come to the time of year when the University of Lincoln comes together in memory of Grace Millane, a graduate of the university who was tragically murdered on her 22nd birthday whilst travelling in New Zealand in 2018.

As a former member of the University of Lincoln Hockey Club, the society takes great pride in honouring her memory and are once again hosting a handbag appeal this year. The bags will be donated to the Love Grace Charity, helping victims of domestic violence by filling the bags with useful items for women in need.

ULHC, supported by other sports and societies at the University of Lincoln and across the country, will be hosting a week of sporting and other fundraising challenges between 27th November and 3rd December, in order to raise money for three charities; EDAN Lincs, Love Grace, and White Ribbon UK.

Here’s a rundown of the week’s events to help you get involved.

Monday

To kick-start the week, the Squash Society will be hosting an open tournament from 4 until 9pm in the University’s Sports Centre, and of course, ULHC will be hosting their own open game starting at 6:30pm at the Astro.

If you’re not one for sport, you can get involved by attending the Craft Night from 7m in MB3601.

Tuesday

This evening will be another sports filled one, with Tag Rugby taking place on the Astro from 6:30pm and an open dance session starting at 6:45 pm.

Wednesday

Starting early on Wednesday, there will be an open Archery session at the University’s Sports Centre at 9am.

Throughout the day, ULHC will be hosting three Hockey matches; 10am will be Ladies 3’s, 1pm ladies 1’s will begin, and men’s 2’s at 3pm.

To end the day, there will be a climbing relay in the Sports Centre from 5pm until 6pm.

Thursday

During the evening, the women’s football and the men’s hockey games will be happening on the Astro from 5:30pm. Then, at 6pm basketball and cheer will be inside the Sports Centre.

There will be another open session from Dodgeball from 6pm to 9pm, also inside the Sports Centre.

Thursday will include the handbag appeal in MB3303; bring along any unwanted bags for donation from 7pm.

Friday

From 2pm until 6pm on Friday there will be an Art Exhibition in NDH0001, this will be the first of two openings during the weekend.

At 5pm, Hockey and the Feminist Society will be coming together for an evening of bracelet making in the Minerva building. Afterwards, at 7:30pm there will be an open Frisbee session in the Sports Centre.

To end the day, the Athletics Society will be hosting the Claim the Night Run which is set to start at 7pm.

Saturday

The second instalment of the Art Exhibition in NDH will be open from 11am on Saturday.

Before this, there will be an open Badminton session in the Sports Centre from 10am, and the Lincoln Law Society will be hosting a bake sale at the Astro from 10am until 4pm. Pick up a sweet treat while you watch the Hockey match on the Astro from 12pm onwards.

If none of this takes your fancy but you still want to donate, you can visit the University of Lincoln SU JustGiving page and make a donation directly. All donations will be split between EDAN Lincs, Love Grace, and White Ribbon UK.

Pictures via @lincolnunihc and @lovegrace_uk on Instagram.