Christmassy things to do in Lincoln now the market has gone

Missing the Christmas market? Don’t worry, there are still plenty of Christmas stuff to do around the city

Most people across Lincoln would agree that they are heartbroken that the famous Lincoln Christmas Market will not be running. No one was expecting the market to be cancelled which is why people are even more unhappy by this. As much as this has upset everyone, there are still plenty of things to do in Lincoln this holiday season.

Thor’s Tipi Bar

A festive drink by a crackling fire is the epitome of Christmas. Thankfully, Lincoln can once again enjoy Thor’s Tipi Bar. This well known pop-up will be located in the Cornhill Quarter for the duration of the holiday season. Visit here during the day for a hot chocolate or at night for a Christmas cocktail. Thor’s will be providing food and loads of delectable festive drinks including ales and spirits. In addition, every Thursday at 7pm, there will be an open mic night where you can watch live music or, if you are brave enough, give a performance of your own. 

Lincoln Christmas Light Switch-On

From Newport Arch all the way down to Tentercroft Street, brand new lighting will be installed throughout the city for this holiday season. This Thursday, November 23rd is when the light switch-on will be happening. There will be a tonne of entertainment on Lincoln High Street from around 4pm including Christmas songs, live music, and festive activities to accompany the event. The main switch-on will take place at 7pm.

Brand new lights will be added this year and Olympic gold medallist and Strictly Come Dancing champion Louis Smith MBE and Strictly professional Ian Waite are among the celebrity guests. West End star Roger Wright, who is playing Genie of the Lamp in this year’s panto, and Ellie Cooper, who is playing Jasmine, will be joining them on stage. This is one not to miss. 

Lincoln Christmas Lights Trail

Also starting on November 23rd, there will be an annual Lincoln Christmas Lights Trail. The trail will welcome some brand-new lights in addition to some favourite displays from the previous year. Up until the end of December, the city’s streets will be illuminated by these enormous light installations, giving you plenty of opportunity to locate them all and make some unforgettable experiences along the way.

Medieval Christmas Market

This Christmas, a four day market featuring gifts and arts from the Middle Ages will return to Lincoln. From Thursday, December 14th to Sunday, December 17th, the Travelling Historical Market will host the Medieval Christmas Market. The event is entirely free to attend and will be held at St. Mary le Wigford Church in Wigford Way. It will run a little bit later on Friday and Saturday, from 10am. to 9:30pm. It will take place on Sunday, the last day, from 10am to 4pm. A maze of artisan booths offering mulled wine and food, handcrafted items, jewellery, jerky, art, leatherwork, and more are what they promise to deliver.

Lincoln Ice Trail

The Lincoln Ice Trail is an entirely new event for 2023, that promises to turn the city into a wintry paradise. Huge ice sculptures will be scattered throughout the city to create a lively and entertaining trail for this fantastic new event. Discovering 20 ice sculptures, some will even be Lincoln themed. There will also be a carousel on Dean’s Green, live fire shows in the Bailgate every evening, live ice carving demonstrations at the Cathedral, and traditional Glühwein in Castle Square, among other festive events happening all weekend long alongside the trail.

Lincoln Castle Illuminated

This year, Lincoln Castle will once again present their enchanting Castle Illuminated event, casting a festive sparkle across the city. The stunning grounds of the castle come to life at night with lights and decorations when you visit on specific dates in December. Say “Happy Holidays” to Lucy and Norman, the castle’s resident dragons, as you stroll down Candy Cane Lane and explore the historic grounds. There are going to be some new additions to this beloved event this year, including a Mini Polar Express and classic fairground rides. All aboard! Not a Christmas celebration would be complete without some delectable festive fare, so the castle will also be the scene of numerous local vendors selling confections.