Students still not allowed back into accommodation as cause of Kaspa’s fire still unknown

“We still don’t know when we will be able to go back.”

Students living in CityBlock Penny Street have still not been allowed back into their accommodation, following a fire on 17th June.

The private halls are above Kaspa’s, a dessert restaurant which was attended by four fire engines at around 7am on Saturday morning.

The cause of the fire is still unknown.

“We, the Penny Street residents, were relocated to other CityBlock buildings now. So far we still don’t know when we will be able to go back.” One student told us.  “We were allowed to get the necessary things under supervision.”

The student explained that the fire alarm initially went off in a different flat in the building at 6.40am, but that they dismissed this as a sensitivity. However, it went off again in their flat at 7.05am, when they realised they smoke was very think outside their window. They then called 999 and evacuated the building.

“We first thought it was our bin store went on fire. Later we went to the front door then we realized it was actually Kaspa’s.” They said. “The fire was under control around 9.30 am ish.”.

“Luckily nobody gets hurt, that’s all I can say.” They added.

The students have not yet been told when they will be allowed back into their residence.

Related articles recommended by this writer: