I spent a week studying in cafes around Lancaster so you don’t have to

Are you also a caffeine-addicted serial studier?

Lancaster Uni has some absolutely lovely study spots in and around campus, but we all get to the point where we’ve sat by the living wall in the library one too many times. This list may be your saving grace if you have already reached this moment. If you want to know what Lancaster offers in terms of cafes, then studying in them is the best way to be productive and explore a new place. I spent a week studying in cafes around Lancaster and honestly to find the best ones and honestly, the vibes were immaculate.

Monday – The Music Room (Atkinsons)

The Music Room is one of three Atkinsons’ cafes in Lancaster, and the standard is high for all of them. Not only is there tasteful decor and – considering its name – there is indeed good music playing in the background. This peaceful atmosphere lends itself to the perfect study spot. Atkinsons’ coffee is the best in town so you know you’re in for a treat when you go to one of their cafes. It’s also their quietest cafe so you’re less likely to get distracted if a peaceful spot is what you need to study.

Tuesday – Brew

Brew is a bit of a busy cafe, but they are known for their great coffee and cake selection, not to mention their brunch menu. I would recommend maybe reading a book here if you’re an English Lit student, or doing some work smaller than a laptop as you don’t want to get in the way of the vibe. The staff are friendly and accommodating, and the accompanying music lends itself to a funky atmosphere.

Wednesday – Tuck

Tuck is the new girl on the block – squeezed in on the opposite side of the road to the Quaker Meeting House and The Storey. It’s similar to The Music Room in the way that it’s a little quieter than other cafes, so it works quite well to study in. The cake and drink selection is a little limited, but the range they do have is done well so it makes up for it.

Thursday – The Print Room (located in the Storey)

The Print Room is a very solid choice for the cool kids, it’s a little bit out of the way but absolutely worth it. The staff in there are lovely and the food and drink is reasonably priced and very tasty. Bonus tip: you can go to the gallery and The Storey Gardens if you want to mix it up and have an explore as a break from studying.

Friday – Costa on campus

The Costa on campus is a staple cafe for studying in – it’s far enough away from the library for it to be a change, but it is also close enough to the books and the printers if you need. If you have a Costa app then you can even get freebies if you buy enough drinks, it’s a win-win situation. If you need the hubbub of other people going about their daily routine, then this will work for you.

Saturday – The Castle (Atkinsons)

A busy but scenic choice, located within the grand Lancaster Castle. As it’s one of the Atkinsons cafes, you can guarantee good coffee, but it may not be the best spot for studying. If you’re planning on going on a weekend or a bank holiday, then you may be out of luck when it comes to grabbing a seat, but you can always sit in the sun outside the Priory if that is the case.

Sunday – The Whale Tail

The Whale Tail is the granola girl of Lancaster cafes, it has quality organic veggie and vegan food, as well as serving good tea and coffee. There is a range of comfy seating inside and a nice little garden – it is the perfect balance of busyness for focussing.