A comprehensive guide of how to not become a Sugar bartender’s enemy

‘Please stop throwing glasses, we don’t want concussions’

Let’s be honest, we all love getting wasted on a Wednesday and Friday night at Sugarhouse, especially after a long week of lectures and study sessions. However, as much as the Sugar staff love their job, their workmates, and the students they get to serve, we often do things while drunk that get on their nerves.

We spoke to a Sugar bartender to find out all the things you absolutely should not do on a night out if you wish to remain in their good graces.

‘We are not blind’

You may assume you have not been served yet because the bartender cannot see you, but that’s not the case. There is likely a large queue of people ahead of you who have been waiting longer and therefore need serving first. Please don’t “click your finger” at them or ask them to “serve me next” because if you do this, “unless you are our friend, you will be served last, and we will ignore you.”

‘Wear deodorant’

Everyone knows how hot and sweaty clubbing in Sugar can be, especially when you step outside into the smoking area after dancing for two hours straight. Not wearing deodorant can often make a bartender’s job uncomfortable, especially when walking “through a sea of BO,” picking half-empty, sticky glasses and bottles up off the floor.

‘We can refuse to serve you’

Although you may think bartenders have to serve you, they don’t. If they believe you are too drunk, they can refuse to give you any alcoholic drinks. Please don’t get “angry, upset, or treat us badly” when they refuse to serve you, “trust us, it’s for your own good.”

‘We do make mistakes’

Sugar bartenders are dealing with drunk customers, extremely crowded bars, multiple orders, and broken bottles or glasses all at once. Furthermore, they also have to try and listen as you shout your orders at them over the insanely loud music and voices of other students, so please be “understanding and kind” to them if they accidentally “misunderstand or mishear” you, as they are often “stressed and incredibly tired.”

‘Let us know if you feel unsafe’

If you ever feel unsafe in Sugar, please “let one of us, a member of the security team or the welfare tent staff” know. Although the staff know they may seem “mean and scary,” they are “all really nice” and do “genuinely care” about your safety while on a night out.

‘Don’t touch us’

They understand that sometimes, especially if they are walking around to collect cups off the floor, you may accidentally touch us or bump into them. However, please “don’t purposely touch us,” as it makes them uncomfortable, and there is “no need for you to do it”. They get “grabbed, shoulder tapped, and head patted just for someone to get our attention on the bar” – they will eventually get to you. Also, they are trying to concentrate on other orders, and touching them can be very distracting, especially when they are already “confused and frazzled when it’s busy.”

‘Wait your turn’

They understand it’s frustrating having to wait at the bar for a long time when you want to spend time with your friends, especially on busier nights. However, “don’t complain about having to wait, you look entitled, and we will make you wait longer before we serve you.” Although they understand it can be annoying, they “are trying our best.”

‘We do love our job’

Although Sugar bartenders often don’t go to bed until 4 am, are significantly sleep-deprived, and covered in bruises from flying glasses and being stood on, they “do genuinely enjoy and love” their jobs, and watching drunk students fumble around and slip on their butts makes their night a whole lot better.

Related articles recommended by this writer: