The first day of Edinburgh UCU strikes is only two weeks away

The strikes will begin on February 1st

It has been confirmed that the next wave of the Edinburgh UCU teaching strikes will begin on February 1st. Over 70,000 UCU members at 150 universities will take part in the strikes, which will last for 17 days throughout February and March.

Last week Edinburgh UCU confirmed it would be taking part in the strike action, due to continuing disputes over pay, conditions and attacks on pensions.

The dates for further strikes will be announced next week.

The action on Wednesday 1 February will coincide with TUC’s ‘protect the right to strike’ day. Five unions, UCU, NEU, ASLEF, PCS and RMT have already confirmed they will join the day of action against the Conservative government’s plans to introduce strict anti-strike measures through parliament.

UCU general secretary Jo Grady said: “Whilst the cost-of-living crisis rages, university vice-chancellors are dragging their feet and refusing to use the vast wealth in the sector to address over a decade of falling pay, rampant casualisation and massive pension cuts.

“On 1 February, 70,000 university staff will walk out alongside fellow trade unions and hundreds of thousands of other workers to demand their fair share.

“UCU remains committed to reaching a negotiated settlement, but if university employers don’t get serious and fast, more strike action fill follow in February and March.”