What your Halloween costume says about you as a Durham student

Spooky season is finally upon us!

It’s now that time of year where costumes are on everyone’s mind, so whether your group is clubbing in Jimmys or you’re hitting the town solo, here’s what your choice of Halloween costume says about you as a Durham student.

1. Wednesday Addams (The Addams Family)

Whether you are obsessed with the Netflix show, or just wanted to show off your new black dress and eyeliner, this outfit is an absolute classic. You have a very sarcastic sense of humour and are always full of witty comments to banter with your friends. You probably spend a lot of time at the Palace Green Library soaking in all the gothic vibes, but have some killer moves on the dance floor!

2. Pirate

What could go wrong when you have a cool hat and a jar of dirt? You have a daring character and are always up for anything! Or you forgot you had plans at all, and were scrambling for a costume last minute. Either way, you look fabulous matey! I’m sure we’ll all see you on the water at the next Durham boat party.

3. Mean Girls

Whether you’re a Cady, a Regina or a Karen, you have a very close friendship group. That’s sooo fetch! You like to keep to your circle, but aren’t afraid to dress up and have a good time. So whether you’re a mouse (duh!) or wearing pink to a cheeky SNK, you’re bound to have a blast.

4. The Scooby Gang

Yoinks what a gang you are! You’re some hardcore animal lovers and love to have a cosy night in with your mates. You are very kind and love to help others, and of course, are always found solving your college Halloween murder mystery nights – with a Spags dinner to celebrate!

5. Angel and Devil

What a divine duo! This costume is the textbook of Halloween costumes. It may be a bit overdone – but hey, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. The two of you are polar opposites: One, a Pot Noodle addict, and the other attends every lecture. We won’t say which is which!

6. Harry Potter (and co!)

We solemnly swear you are up to no good! Ever a movie lover, you adore the classics. No wonder you came to Durham! You love the architecture and the old-worldly nature of the city, and can often be found wandering around the cathedral. After all, if you can’t wear a Harry Potter costume in Durham, where can you?

7. Supernatural

Dressing up as a witch or vampire this Halloween? Well here’s something to sink you fangs into… you’re probably a post grad student who’s been out of the loop for a while my friend. Either you stick to what you know, or are a sucker for the traditional. There’s nothing wrong with that, but maybe try getting with the times!

8. Mario Kart

Whether you are soloing it as Mario or have a whole crew of racers, you take the DU sport world by storm, and are always up for a challenge. You’re bound to win every VK boat race you do – just keep hold of your hat and moustache in Jimmys!

9. Wizard of Oz

Heading down the yellow brick road of the Bailey? Make sure not to get your sparkly heels stuck in the cobbles! You have a very vivid imagination and are often daydreaming about your adventures after university. Like the Tin Man, you have a huge heart and love to keep in touch with everyone.

10. Superhero

You’re either a nerd or spider-dog. There is no in-between.

Related stories recommended by this author:

• We asked Durham students for their landlord horror stories 

• This is what your halloween plans say about you as a Durham student

The pros and cons of living on your own at Durham Uni