Thinking about joining us? Here are six reasons why you should write for The Durham Tab!

Come to our open meeting at 6pm at The Library Bar on Thursday 5th October

Whether you’re a keen fresher looking for a hobby to fill your weekends or a returning student wanting to try something new, The Durham Tab is looking for new writers to join the team this term.

With a combined readership of over six million across the national site and an Instagram reach of over 22k, The Tab continues to be the UK’s most-read online student publication.

We’re always searching for fresh writers to join our team at The Durham Tab. You don’t have to be an experienced writer to join us; just be a fun and passionate person looking to join a team of excellent student journalists. We’re holding an open meeting at 6pm at The Library Bar on Thursday 5th October and you’re invited.

It doesn’t matter if you want to break the latest stories in Durham or just want to write funny and relatable features, there’s always space on our team. We welcome writers of all ages and abilities so come along to our first open meeting at

1. You can write about almost anything

Whilst we do send out weekly commissions, we’ll always encourage our writers to pitch new ideas and content. Fashion? Memes? Food? Whatever it is, we’ll almost never say no. Here at The Durham Tab, we’ve got you covered.

2. Having said that, you don’t have to limit yourself to writing

With a strong social media presence on both our Instagram and TikTok, there’s plenty of opportunity to get involved with voxpops and other fun social content.

3. No previous experience is required

Our local Durham team works alongside an Assistant Editor in London; they provide training and constant professional writing advice that you won’t get from any other student media outlet. Previous Tab writers have gone on to work for major news outlets, including VICE, The Times, Vogue, Cosmopolitan and The Evening Standard – to name a few.

The Tab Durham is written by students and overseen by professional journalists working for the national site. Our writers receive the best industry advice and tips as well as full training, so fear not if your experience is lacklustre.

4. We have editorial roles up for grabs

Ever fancied being on the committee of a society? Now’s your chance. Whilst admittedly The Durham Tab isn’t quite a DU society, our stash is just as cool.

For example, as Social Media Editor you’ll have creative control over our rapidly growing Instagram and TikTok accounts as well as our Facebook and Twitter accounts. They have a combined following of over 30,000 students.

4. We have banging socials

Why else join a society? On top of the great LinkedIn connections you’ll make, The Durham Tab is full of like-minded individuals from all different backgrounds. You’ll mix with a range of people from all different courses. Like most, we wouldn’t be a true team if we didn’t have a few messy socials disguised as team building exercises.

As an incentive, we often get heavily discounted invites to events!

5. It looks great on the CV

Of course, the experience you’ll gain writing for The Tab really is a bonus. The Tab HQ also run internships over the summer for Tab writers who show a keen interest in pursuing a career in media.

There is also the regular opportunity for your work to be published nationally, with the potential of hundreds of thousands of views.

Related stories recommended by this author:

• Durham Uni staff set to strike in September following end of marking boycott

• Durham ranked as worst uni in England and Wales for social inclusion, new league table finds

Durham Union will attend Freshers’ Fair following two year ban