Student booed off stage at Cardiff SU’s AGM after opposing ceasefire in Palestine

Jake Enea claims he has faced ‘threats of violence, intimidation, and harassment’

A Cardiff University student has called for Cardiff’s Students’ Union to be investigated after he was booed off stage during a speech at last week’s AGM.

Jake Enea, a politics student and vice-president political at Cardiff University’s Conservative Society was giving a speech on why he believed the motion calling for a ceasefire in Palestine should not be passed.

In a video shared by Jake of his speech, audience members can be seen heckling him, with one student saying: “You support genocide”, and another shouting: “Women are dying”. He was also told by an audience member to “f*** off”.

In a statement, Jake said he was “subjected to threats of violence, intimidation, and harassment”.

He also claims that he has not since been approached by anyone from the Students’ Union, bar one sabbatical officer, and explains: “This lack of support has left my family and friends deeply worried about my safety and mental wellbeing.

“It is important for institutions to prioritise the safety and wellbeing of their students, especially in times of distress”.

Later on in his statement, Jake also calls for the Students’ Union to be investigated by the Charity Commission, and for the motion to be voided due to “the disorderly situation that occurred”.

Jake told The Cardiff Tab: “I do not regret speaking against the motion. I believe I did the right thing, not the easy thing. My intention was to speak out for Jewish students who were being silenced by certain individuals in the room.

“It’s important to note that I was not the only person in that room who wanted to speak against the motion. I hold the belief that the motion is illegal, but I cannot comment on the details due to the ongoing legal matter surrounding it.

“However, I received a negative response and was booed when I mentioned Hamas’s crimes against women and LGBTQ people. It’s crucial to recognise that this is a conflict between Israel and Hamas, and my stance is in support of a two-state solution.

Jake also believes that the chair of the student senate and the AGM should “consider stepping down for their positions” in order to create a “fair and unbiased environment in future meetings.”

A number of people have shown support for Jake’s speech, including Jonathan Gullis MP who called the hecklers “clowns” and that it’s “deeply depressing” that people are “cancelled” for not sharing the views of “the vocal minority/mob”.

Others who responded to Gullis said: “Universities need a good clear out”, “What do they have between their ears?”, and “They’re pathetic and unable to think for themselves”.

Cardiff University’s Students’ Union has been contacted for comment but is yet to respond.