Bristol UCU announce the dates of 18 days of strikes

Bristol lecturers are striking in seven out of the first eight weeks of term

The University and College Union (UCU) has revealed the dates of eighteen strike days from February to March of this year.

The dates are as follows:

February the 1st, 9th, 10th, 14th, 15th, 16th, 21st, 22nd, 23rd, 27th, 28th.

March the 1st, 2nd, 16th, 17th, 20th, 21st, 22nd.

Members of the UCU say they are striking against pay, working conditions and pensions following an inadequate three per cent rise and a 35 per cent cut to pension funds.

Two weeks ago, the UCU’s higher education committee called for eighteen days of strikes following a slew of protests last year which ended without a resolution.

UCU General Secretary, Joe Grady, stated that: “Taking action is difficult at any time, but let me be clear with you, we would not be calling this action if we thought there was another way.”

She went on to say that: “We (UCU) have given employers plenty of time to negotiate…the ball is firmly in their court.”

This might not be the end of disruption for Bristol students this year. The UCU also announced it will re-ballot its members next week to allow staff to take further action throughout the rest of the year beyond March.