Student tried to rescue young girl who died during an incident on Bournemouth Beach

Two people died and eight others were injured in the incident on Wednesday afternoon

A Bournemouth student “desperately” tried to save the young girl who died during an incident at Bournemouth Beach.

A 17-year-old boy and the 12-year-old girl died in the incident which happened at around 4pm on Wednesday.

18 year old student, Mackenzie Creech, carried the girl out of the sea onto the beach after he saw her in the water.

Mackenzie was on the beach with some friends when he heard screams and shouts coming from the pier and spotted onlookers pointing to a girl in the water.

He told MailOnline: “Everything happened so quickly, one minute I was enjoying the beach with some friends and then the next we heard screaming and shouting.

“We were on the other side of the pier but you could hear all this noise so we went over to see what was going on and people were pointing into the water.”

“I could see a body in the water, and just rushed in and scooped her up with someone else. She was face down when I got there and not moving. She was in a swimming costume but she didn’t appear to have any injuries on her. There were no cuts or bruises and I just knew it didn’t look good so I carried her onto the beach.”

After Mackenzie brought the girl ashore, paramedics arrived and started to perform CPR on her.

“People were screaming and shouting and it was all really chaotic and then someone put some towels up as a screen while the paramedics worked on her,” he said.

“I was hoping she would make it and I didn’t know she had passed away until I saw it on the news. I was gutted when I heard that and it’s upset me, it’s so sad something like this happened. I did what anyone else would have done.”

Dorset Police confirmed that no vehicle or vessel is believed to have been in “physical contact” with the children who died following speculation on social media they had been hit by a jet-ski or boat.

Bournemouth Beach evacuated as two young people die and more rescued from sea

This SUBU staff member has created an app to help students get home safe from a night out

• These five BU moments shouldn’t be embarrassing but they really are