liam payne police investigation

Everything we know so far about the ongoing police investigation into Liam Payne’s death

The police are analysing powders found in his hotel room

The One Direction singer Liam Payne tragically died on Wednesday 16th October after falling from a hotel balcony in Buenos Aires. The police in Argentina are looking into the events leading up to his death. The lead investiagtor Prosecutor Marcelo Roma has asked for a full toxicological examination. Here is a timeline of everything we know about the police investigation into the tragic death of Liam Payne.

The autopsy confirmed that he died because he fell from the balcony

Liam Payne’s body was removed from the hotel at about 8:30pm local time (12:30am BST). A preliminary report from the public prosecutor’s office came out on Thursday 17th October. The report said that Liam Payne had 25 injuries “consistent with a fall from a great height”. They identified the cause of death as “internal and external bleeding” from “multiple traumas”.

The transcript of an emergency call from the hotel staff surfaced

The police released recordings of two phone calls between hotel staff and the emergency services shortly before Liam Payne’s death.  The hotel manager was worried about a guest “drunk with drugs and alcohol” who was “breaking everything in the room.”

Police are investigating whether Liam Payne took a drug called Cristal

Laim Payne casasur hotel argentina death police investigation

Credit: Roberto Tuero/ZUMA Press Wire/Shutterstock

People from the police department in Buenos Aires told TMZ that they were investigating whether Liam Payne took a drug called Cristal. Apparently, Liam Payne’s behaviour before his death was similar to Cristal users. The drug can cause hallucinations and psychotic episodes.

The police haven’t officially confirmed yet whether there was Cristal in the hotel room.

Witnesses from the hotel are being interviewed

The police are interviewing three people who worked at the hotel, and two women who were with Liam Payne that afternoon, but left before he died.

The police found alcohol and medications in his room

As part of the investigation, police searched the room in the CasaSur Palermo hotel which Liam Payne stayed in before his death. Lots of furniture was broken. “Narcotics and alcoholic beverages” were found scattered around the room. There were lots of over-the-counter medicines, including Clonazepam, which is used to treat panic attacks.

The police found a lighter and a bottle of whisky. They took Liam Payne’s phone and laptop for the investigation.

Three pictures are being circulated online which are supposedly of Liam Payne’s hotel room. They show a smashed TV set, a half-drunk glass of champagne, a wine glass, a small toiletries bottle, white powder and a Dove soap box. There is a picture of a half-burned candle and charred aluminium foil in a bathtub.

Liam Payne’s friends say he was clean a week before his death

laim payne death casasur hotel argenitina police investigation

Fans pays tribute to Liam Payne in front of the CasaSur hotel
(Credit: Roberto Tuero/ZUMA Press Wire/Shutterstock)

Liam Payne was in the middle of having his US Visa renewed, so he could spend more time in Florida with his girlfriend Kate Cassidy. The application process took longer than usual because Liam Payne was known for struggling with drugs and alcohol in the past. Liam Payne took a drugs test at the embassy last week. One of Liam Payne’s friends apparently told The Sun that Liam Payne picked up the certificate from the embassy on Tuesday 15th October, and it said that he was completely clean.

Two people who work at the hotel have been accused of supplying Liam Payne with drugs

The police are reportedly looking into whether a cleaner and another hotel worker were supplying Liam Payne with drugs. The CasaSur hotel has apparently already fired one member of staff.

A friend of Liam Payne apparently told MailOnline, “There were two guys at the hotel that were giving Liam drugs. They sent taxis out to collect packages for him.”

Related articles recommended by this writer:

Feature image credit: BabiradPicture/Shutterstock