the gentleman

Ok, this is how Netflix’s The Gentlemen series relates to the movie

The Guy Ritchie web is webbing

After the One Day vacuum that was left in our lives, Netflix needed to go big with their next series and The Gentlemen (starring The White Lotus’ Theo James and Skins’ Kaya Scodelario) is absolutely doing the job.

But one thing that’s confusing everyone about The Gentlemen series is whether it’s in any way connected to the 2019 Guy Ritchie film (starring Charlie Hunnam and Matthew McConaughey to Colin Farrell and Hugh Grant) of the same name. So, in case you’re baffled by where the series sits in the Guy Ritchie universe, here’s everything you need to know:

Right, so is The Gentlemen series based on the 2019 Guy Ritchie film?

The Gentlemen

According to Guy Ritchie himself, The Gentlemen series and The Gentlemen film take place in the same universe – but aren’t directly connected. So, we’re in the same world but we won’t see any of the characters from the OG film.

“We’re looking forward to bringing fans back into that world, introducing new characters and their stories, and I am excited to be doing it with this extremely talented cast,” he told Netflix Tudum.

Elaborating on the reason for the revival to BBC, Guy said he thought the premise for The Gentlemen film was “worth exploring” in greater depth through the medium of TV and would even be keen for a second series:

“You feel that this could run and run,” he said. “The characters take on their own life, all you have to do is establish a character and create their own voice, and then couple that with an actor and we’re off to the races.

“It’s a sojourn into aristocrats meeting world gangsters,” he added to What to Watch. “The world is exactly the same. The aristocrats have got brilliant houses, lots of land but they don’t have any cash to live on.

“That’s why in our story the aristocrats are putting skunk farms in their back gardens. The show is about the transition, the evolution from zoo to jungle and how to hunt in the jungle to survive. If you like my sort of worlds, you should like this one.”

The Gentlemen is available to watch on Netflix now. For more like this and all the latest Netflix drops and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.