Adele explains that ignoring the cameras at a basketball game meme

Adele has finally addressed *that* meme of her ignoring the cameras at a basketball game

It’s not really a feel good story

Adele has explained how that viral reaction meme of her being caught looking bored at an NBA basketball game in front of the glare of the cameras originated, and it’s not really a happy one.

Adele gave the full rundown of what happened to the audience at her Weekends With Adele residency in Las Vegas. The story straight from the horse’s mouth came after she asked them, “Do you remember that viral meme of me looking like I don’t give a flying fuck?”. Before going into the full story, she announced that she wanted to “give some context” to the footage. She admitted how uncomfortable she found being “famous” and all the attention it gets her. As for the reason she was alone, Adele said that her sports agent boyfriend, Rich Paul, had disappeared to go network and she just wanted to ogle legends like Michael Jordan in peace.

She said: “So obviously, I know I’m sitting courtside at a basketball game, whatever. But Rich was working the room and, you know, talking to other players and people. I was fine. I didn’t mind. I was just there on my own, looking for Michael Jordan, to be honest with you.”

While she was alone, Adele said that a group of camera operators came up to her and asked if she minded if they filmed her. Due to the publicity storm that was prompted by her postponing her shows in Las Vegas, Adele wasn’t really keen.

Adele told the crowd: “They came back and they filmed me. So, the reason my lips look like I had filler, because I have naturally big lips…I don’t need filler. The reason I looked like a different person was because I was sulking. Because I was like, ‘These motherf*ckers have come back and are filming me against my will.'”

Adele claimed that she had no clue it was being broadcast on television but was very annoyed that her wishes not to be filmed hadn’t been respected. She also conceded that her “face is very memeable” and there isn’t much she can do about it.

“I didn’t know they were airing it on TV. I thought it was just in the room, you know. But anyway, I just wanted to give some context. Because I was ignoring looking everywhere but in the camera. I was very annoyed because I asked not to be filmed. Also my face is very memeable. I can’t help it,” Adele told the crowd.

Adele isn’t wrong, as the basketball game footage isn’t the only time that her beautiful and expressive fave has lent itself to an online reaction meme. The menu of facial expressions she created on her 2021 lockdown Instagram live still gets a lot of mileage on social media and beyond.