Jennifer Lawrence and Emma Stone

From rivals to besties: Inside Emma Stone and Jennifer Lawrence’s chaotic friendship

Hollywood’s unexpected power couple needs a rom-com of their own

Hollywood loves a good rivalry, but even more, it loves a good, lasting friendship. In the case of Oscar-winning besties Emma Stone and Jennifer Lawrence, the journey from on-screen competitors to off-screen besties is a story worthy of a movie. Please, someone write the script now.

Dating all the way back to the late 2000s, the tale starts with two talented young actresses vying for the same roles. Their paths often crossed at awards shows and casting calls, but eventually what blossomed was a hilarious and chaotic bestie duo. So, in case you’re intrigued by Emma Stone and Jennifer Lawrence’s friendship, here’s everything you need to know:

Jealousy was the start of this friendship

Remember their dual nominations at the 2011 Golden Globes? Stone, then 22, was one of the three youngest actresses nominated that year in the Globes’ film categories for her movie Easy A. Jennifer Lawrence, 20, was nominated as the best actress in drama for her role in Winter’s Bone. Neither of them won their nominations, but their competition was often the subject of media headlines, as Lawrence had auditioned for Stone’s part on Easy A.

“I auditioned for Easy A. I wanted it so bad,” Lawrence has admitted. On another occasion, she said that they would always audition for the same roles. While these roles are not public knowledge, rumoured animosity and mutual jealousy reached its apex with the success of the teen rom-com film Easy A. The 2010 teen comedy Easy A was a stepping stone in Emma Stone’s career when she even beat Jennifer Lawrence to it.

But she told Vanity Fair in an email that her ego was going nuts over how great, vibrant, and talented Lawrence was. She has also admitted feeling threatened about not finding another job because of the Hunger Games actress.

Jennifer Lawrence has also conceded, albeit jokingly, that in her early days, she considered Stone her competition. “If I weren’t her biggest fan, I would’ve Tonya Harding’d her in the kneecaps,” she told Vanity Fair.

Chaotic meet-cute, and a whole lot of heart

Both the actresses decided that there was room for everyone, and they needed to stop fuelling the idea that women could not cheer for other successful women. So, they went beyond their alleged “silly” rivalry when Stone asked Zombieland actor Woody Harrelson to help her connect with Lawrence. When she reached out via text, Lawrence replied: “F*ck you”.

What happened next was the beginning of their strange, strong bond. They would text each other every day, especially about the aforementioned auditions, and discover how many of the same roles they were pitting against each other. This was also when they decided to “grow up” and let their talents reflect on their careers.

Some kind of trauma bonding

Another strong point at the beginning of their friendship was their mutual alleged stalker—a guy named John [false name] who would text them both to get his orchestra ready. They have said that John wasn’t really a stalker, but someone who perhaps had a lot of people’s phone numbers and may have worked at a studio. Emma Stone has clarified that he would text things like, “Hey, Alex. I’m running late on my way to the soundstage. Can you warm up the orchestra for me? Can you text me back and let me know if you got this? John.”

It wasn’t much stalking as much as an inconvenience and cause of anxiety for both of them. So, when the two finally decided to meet, they were both apprehensive if the other turned out to be this ‘John’. Stone said:  “So Jen called. ‘I just want to make sure you’re not John the Orchestra Guy’. I wasn’t. And we met. It’s our adorable love story.”

As their friendship became stronger, the two made several public appearances together, including their famous interview with W for the Best Performances portfolio. They sat for a joint interview by Lynn Hirschberg for W Magazine and talked and teased one another like longtime friends.

Now, they are each other’s biggest fans

At the 2024 Golden Globes, the Hunger Games actress had one of the funniest gags when she mouthed “If I don’t win, I’m leaving!” directly to the camera. She was nominated for the award for Best Actress in a Motion Picture—comedy or musical—for her role in the R-rated comedy No Hard Feelings. Emma Stone ended up winning the Golden Globe for her performance in Poor Things, and unsurprisingly, Lawrence stood up and cheered the loudest when Stone’s name was announced as the winner.

This has not been for show. The two genuinely share a good bond. The whispers of their rivalry have vanished and are replaced by their mutual love and the laughter that comes from awards show after-parties. They have often done joint interviews, teased and serenaded each other on talk shows, and supported one another through personal struggles and career decisions.

For instance, our favourite Gwen Stacy results from Jennifer Lawerence’s push for Emma Stone to take up the role alongside Andrew Garfield: “I support her [Stone] completely when it comes to work, and I feel the same about her, but I know we’d be friends even if we didn’t do the same job,” Lawrence told Vanity Fair in 2016. They have agreed that they can be their most unfiltered selves with each other.

Theirs is a powerful friendship, reminding everyone that sometimes the best stories in Hollywood aren’t scripted—they are messy and real, and they have enough chaos. The best part is that one celebrates the other’s victory like her own.

Recommended stories by this writer:

Inside the iconic and wholesome friendship between Lana Del Rey and Billie Eilish

The huge differences between the Poor Things film and the chaotic book its based on

Jennifer Lawrence’s nude scene shouldn’t be the most interesting part of No Hard Feelings

Featured image credit via Aaron Poole/AMPAS/Shutterstock