Tom Holland was gagged to get a seven-figure check meant for Spiderman star Tom Hollander

Omg, Tom Hollander was gagged when he got sent a seven-figure check meant for Tom Holland

Sounds like a GDPR violation to me

Tom Hollander was astounded by the whopping seven-figure cheque meant for Tom Holland he got sent by accident.

Tom shared the data slip-up while appearing on Late Night with Seth Meyers and discussing how “difficult” it was to have a very similar name to the much younger actor. It was particularly tricky when they had the same agent representing them, leading to the money mix-up.

“It’s been very difficult because you know I was here first, but he’s enormously famous. I don’t actually get mistaken for him, but in non-visual contexts, I get mistaken for him all the time,” he said.

Tom – who has starred in franchises like The Pirates of the Caribbean and classic British period dramas like Pride and Prejudice – was relishing in a certain “smugness” for getting paid £30,000 for a part in a BBC series. However, this vanished when he saw the “astonishing amount of money” sent to him accidentally via email. The payslip was a bonus for playing  Spiderman in the Marvel Avengers film.

“It was an astonishing amount of money. It was not his salary. It was his first box office bonus. Not the whole box office bonus, the first one. And it was more money than I’d ever [seen]. It was a seven-figure sum,” he told Seth.

Tom added that his “feelings of smugness disappeared” after discovering how much Tom – who is lucky enough as well to call himself Zendaya’s boyfriend – was getting paid for his gigs.

The elder Tom shared that another downside to sharing a name with him was the “excited, then confused, then disappointed children” who probably thought they would meet a real-life Hollywood superhero.

Last year, Tom Hollander appeared in the second season of the HBO dramedy The White Lotus as the ringleader of “the evils gays” who plotted to murder Jennifer Coolidge for her money. The actress who played their intended victim, Tanya McQuoid, gave them the nickname during her recent Emmys acceptance speech. Tom’s latest role is bringing to life the legendary writer Truman Capote in Ryan Murphy’s new FX miniseries, Feud: Capote Vs The Swans.