Jonathan Bailey

Jonathan Bailey dedicates his Critics Choice win to the LGBTQ+ community

‘This is for you’

The Critics Choice Awards 2024 were filled with plenty of heart-warming moments last night: Ryan Gosling realising he might actually have to perform I’m Just Ken at the Oscars, Ayo Edebiri thanking the whole of Ireland for her award, and Jonathan Bailey making the whole of the Twitter timeline cry with his dedication to the LGBTQ+ community.

Accepting the Critics Choice Award for best supporting actor in a limited series for his role in Fellow Travelers – a story of a couple who meet in the 1950s when homosexuality was outlawed – Jonathan said:

“For many, it’s an education, but for us, it’s a vital truth. This series is a much-needed reminder that LGBTQ+ people have always existed, mostly hidden. They have always been fighting for an easier life for the generations that followed.

“So, I thank those who came before me, who created a world where I can stand here today and win an award for telling their story. The character I play, Tim, I’ll carry him forever. His love story with Hawk teaches us to tell the special people in our lives that we love them before it’s too late.”

He added: “So to my Fellow Travelers family, to all the people who lost their lives and loves in the ’80s and ’90s and to every LGBTQ+ person living in a bigoted community, which still surround us, this is for you.”

Jonathan also thanked his 93-year-old grandmother who was the person who first took him to the theatre and inspired him to become an actor:  “I’m bringing this trophy back to you and a cup of tea on Tuesday,” he said, making him officially the most adorable person Hollywood has ever seen. Sob.

For all the latest TV and entertainment news and gossip, like Pop Culture Shrine on Facebook