Taylor, Sabrina and Joshua who Olivia Rodrigo has written songs about

The complete rundown of everyone that Olivia Rodrigo has written a song about

Even Taylor Swift isn’t safe

Olivia Rodrigo has just released her newest album Guts, and there’s a lot of speculation on whether the songs she’s written are about anyone in particular. From a potential feud with Taylor Swift, to shading Sabrina Carpenter, nobody is safe from being mentioned on this album.

From Olivia’s breakout single drivers license to her most recent album, the singer has frequently dropped hints into her songs to help fans work out who she’s talking about. These are the most clues we’re going to get though, as Olivia has discussed how she doesn’t “want to say who any of my songs are about.”

I’m feeling very nosy though, so let’s investigate exactly who Olivia Rodrigo has written songs about.

Sabrina Carpenter

Whilst Olivia never publicly confirmed that her hit song drivers license was about Sabrina Carpenter, I think we can all assume with almost 100 per cent certainty that it was.

In case you missed out on the drama back in 2021 when the song was released, here’s a very quick rundown. Olivia Rodrigo was acting alongside Joshua Bassett in the High School Musical TV series, and the two briefly dated for a few months. But it seems like there might have been some crossover in their relationship, as weeks after Olivia and Joshua broke up he was seen with Sabrina Carpenter. Joshua and Sabrina were apparently good friends throughout his and Olivia’s relationship. Fans think the line “And you’re probably with that blonde girl” is a reference to Sabrina, as well as “she’s so much older than me” with Olivia being just 20 and Sabrina 24.

It seems like all the parties have moved on now, with no clear references being made to Sabrina in Olivia’s newest Guts album.

Taylor Swift

Olivia Rodrigo’s viral song vampire has been fuelled by rumours about who exactly the song is about. With lyrics such as “bloodsucker, fame f***er, bleeding me dry like a goddamn vampire” this song is definitely the most emotionally angry song out of her new Guts album. And fans are convinced that the song is actually about Taylor Swift.

Whilst Olivia has said she was “surprised” that fans had come to that conclusion, she still hasn’t 100 per cent ruled out that it’s about Taylor. And given the apparent feud that’s currently going on between the two, Olivia could have taken the opportunity to express her feelings about the situation through this song.

But this isn’t the only song that fans are convinced is about Taylor. Two other songs featured on Guts are lacy, and the grudge. lacy is about someone whom Olivia previously hated, but has found herself becoming infatuated with and the grudge is about just that, a grudge!

Based on the lyrics, fans are convinced that lacy is about Taylor because of the descriptions of the mystery woman in the song. Descriptions like “Eyes wide as daisies” and “dazzling starlet, Bardot reincarnate” have a definite Taylor energy to them, with Bridget Bardot being known for her blonde fringe that closely resembles Taylor’s.

As for the grudge, it could be about the rumoured spat Olivia had with Taylor. Olivia sings “Trust that you betrayed, confusion that still lingers. Took everything I loved and crushed it in between your fingers.” She goes on to sing “You built me up to watch me fall. You have everything, and you still want more.” Taylor was a big support at the start of Olivia’s career so these lyrics do make sense if they were about Taylor!

Adam Faze

Adam Faze is one of Olivia’s exes after the two dated when Olivia was just 18 and Adam was 24. They were in a relationship for around seven months before breaking up. Fans think Olivia might be singing about him on logical, a piano ballad from Guts. On the seventh track in the album Olivia recalls a toxic relationship with a bitter ex.

She recalls how she was so in love with him that she was blind to his flaws, and was fooled into thinking he could change for the better. She sings, “Cause if rain don’t pour and sun don’t shine. Then changing you is possible. No, love is never logical.” Later in the song, she expresses regret that she did nothing to stop the relationship from progressing.

Whilst fans think this could be about Adam, there’s also debate that it’s about her other ex Zack Bia.

Zack Bia

Zack and Olivia dated when Olivia was just 19 and Zack was 26, and the two were dating for around six months. Before then Zack was in a two-year relationship with Madison Beer, which ended badly after the singer confirmed she wrote the song Selfish about him.

When vampire first released fans immediately assumed it was referencing DJ Zack with lyrics like, “You only come out at night,” as Zack is a DJ. However, Zack has strongly denied the accusations saying “I don’t think it’s really about me, I think the internet just ran with it.”

Whoever it’s about I have to almost thank them because I cannot get that song out of my head.

Joshua Bassett

In a way, we should all thank Joshua Bassett for giving Olivia so much emotional baggage that she felt compelled to write drivers license, and kickstart her music career. Similar to drivers license, we can all read between the lines and know that her other song traitor is 100 per cent in reference to Joshua.

With lyrics like “It took you two weeks to go off and date her, guess you didn’t cheat, but you’re still a traitor,” the writing is all but on the wall. The song is in reference to Joshua leaving Olivia for Sabrina, with Olivia seemingly calling him out for falling in love with Sabrina while they were still together. “Brown guilty eyes and little white lies” appears to confirm that it’s about Joshua.

So now we know all the songs that Olivia Rodrigo has written about people, but what about the easter eggs you might have missed in her newest album?

For all the latest music and reality TV and entertainment news and gossip, like Pop Culture Shrine on Facebook.