Why do the Kardashians use surrogates

Here’s what the Kardashian sisters have said about why they use surrogates

Khloe said she felt ‘really guilty’ when her son was born

In the first episode The Kardashians season three, Khloe Kardashian spoke candidly about her surrogacy experience with her second child, something she hadn’t previously do.

Over the years, Kim Kardashian has spoken about her choices for using a surrogate to have a child, with Psalm and Chicago both being born via a surrogate. Here is everything the sisters have said about the experiences.

Kim Kardashian chose a surrogate after complications during her first two pregnancies

Kim’s elder children, Saint and North, were both born via the TV personality however she experienced several complications during her pregnancies which led to her choosing a surrogate for her next two children.

“I had something called placenta accreta where the placenta grows inside your uterus,” she said during the All Fair podcast. “It’s honestly what people would die from in childbirth, so you have to get the placenta out within a certain amount of time, and you just can internally bleed.

“So, there’s no choice – this is so graphic and gross – but he had to literally cut the placenta off with his hands, with his fingernails, inside of you. And it left a hole in my uterus, and so that muscle doesn’t grow back. So, I could not get pregnant with Saint.”

As well as placenta accreta, Kim also suffered from preeclampsia during her pregnancy with North. “[It] is basically when the mum’s organs start to shut down,” she said in 2019. “The only way to get rid of that is to deliver that baby. At 34 and a half weeks, I had to go into emergency labour – they induced me.”

After suffering from the same issues during her second pregnancy, Kim and Kanye chose surrogacy for their third and fourth children.

Khloe said she felt guilty over the surrogacy process

In the season three premiere of The Kardashians, Khloe spoke with Scott Disick about her surrogacy experience.

“A surrogate process – Kim knows – is very hard for me,” she explained. “It’s a mindf**k. It is really the weirdest thing. People do say it takes a minute to feel connected, but Kim said hers was easy. This is not easy.”

“I definitely buried my head in the sand during that pregnancy and that I didn’t digest what was happening. So, I think when I went to the hospital, I really thing that was the first time that it really registered,” the Kardashian sister said.

Khloe admitted she was in “a state of shock” following the birth of her son, Tatum. “You’re just like, ‘OK, we’re having a baby, and this is my son and I’m taking him home with me,'” she said.

“I felt really guilty that this woman just had my baby and I take the baby and I go in another room, and we are sort of separated. I wish someone was honest about surrogacy and the difference of it. It doesn’t mean it’s bad or good. It’s still great. It’s just very different.”

Season three of The Kardashians is available to watch on Disney+ now. For all the latest reality TV and entertainment news and gossip, like Pop Culture Shrine on Facebook