Micheal Ward BAFTA 2023

Here’s all you need to know about Top Boy’s Micheal Ward, who has been nominated for a BAFTA

Imagine being mates with Drake and Olivia Colman, life must be good

Micheal Ward has been nominated for the second BAFTA in his career in 2023, for his performance in Sam Mendes’ Empire of Light. Micheal has had a pretty impressive career over the years following his breakout role in Netflix’s Top Boy and has since gone on to star in a number of successful TV shows and movies.

There’s a lot more to Micheal than just being Top Boy, so here’s everything you need to know about the BAFTA Award nominated star.

Micheal is 25 years old and is from Jamaica

Micheal Ward is 25 years old and is from Spanish Town in Jamaica. When he was two years old, Micheal moved to Hackney in East London with his mother and sisters and as they say, the rest is history. He started working as a model and featured in music videos for Lily Allen and Tom Walker and he eventually made his film debut in Brotherhood in 2016 and his TV debut two years later in 2018.

He’s been nominated for Best Supporting Actor at the 2023 BAFTA Awards

At the 2023 BAFTA Awards, Micheal has been nominated for Best Supporting Actor for his role in Empire of Light. His performance in the movie was described by Forbes as “one of the year’s best” in 2022.

Speaking about his success in the film and TV industry, Micheal said: “I’ve just felt so lucky to get an opportunity to work with all these people. I feel blessed and fortunate to be able to work anyway, to do this thing I really enjoy, and people are getting to see it.”

Micheal is best known for his role as Jamie in Netflix’s Top Boy

via Netflix

Micheal Ward is arguably best known for his portrayal of Jamie in Netflix’s revival of Top Boy. In the latest season, viewers saw Micheal’s character killed off and in 2022, he wrote a tribute to his character who so many people enjoyed watching. In a post with a bunch of behind the scenes pictures, he said: “Made some memories that’ll last forever with some people I’ll never forget.”

He won the BAFTA Rising Star award in 2020

In 2020, Micheal won the EE Rising Star Award for his exceptional performance in Top Boy. In his acceptance speech, he thanked Top Boy for changing his life “forever”. He said: “I want to say thank you to Top Boy for changing my life forever. Blue Story, you know, like, I wouldn’t be here without the movie. What I want to say is to the people that are watching at home, looking at me, you have to see the opportunities and just see a vision.”

Micheal’s latest movie Empire of Light saw him work alongside Olivia Colman

Micheal Ward’s latest project is Empire of Light, where he stars as Stephen, who has a love affair with his co-worker Hilary Small, who is played by Olivia Colman. The film has been nominated for Outstanding British Film and Roger Deakins was nominated for Cinematography for the movie.

Top Boy is available on Netflix now. For all the latest Netflix news, quizzes, drops and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.