People are outraged after these UNH sorority girls sang the n-word at a party

‘If you are white and think this is OK, then you have some serious growing up to do’

The sisters of Alpha Phi at the University of New Hampshire have been accused of racism after singing the n-word.

They were filmed in a Snapchat video singing the racial slur in Kanye West's Gold Digger as they danced at a recent party.

Students at UNH are in uproar over the clip, denouncing the sorority's behavior as "ignorant and insensitive."

UNH Alpha Phi singing the n-word

Sorority girls at Alpha Phi at the University of New Hampshire have been filmed singing the n-word.Footage courtesy of All Eyes on UNH

Posted by The Tab US on Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Footage reposted courtesy of All Eyes on UNH.

"If you know the lyrics so well, then you should know when the word is coming up and literally shut your mouth," said Sofia Ford, a junior at UNH. "Not a word for us white people to use under any circumstances. It's ignorant and insensitive. Literally, the n-word should never leave your mouth. If you are white and think this is OK, then you have some serious growing up to do."

"One of the easiest things to do in the whole wide world is to not say the n-word," added James Byrne. "So easy."

Still, a large number of white students have sided with the sorority girls, saying they should be able to say the n-word.

"They're college girls having fun celebrating their new members of the sorority," said Gabby Razz, a sophomore. "Racism is so forced at UNH, I'm 100 percent positive that people of color have used the n-word in daily conversation which is worse than singing it in a famous song that's been around for years."

"It's a fucking song you moron!" added student Colin Avery. "They are having fun, dancing and singing! All I see is beautiful women have a good time! Stop trying to make everything into a race issue!"

"These girls are just being normal people singing along to a song," said Eric Hadley, a UNH alum. "These girls aren't racist and people up in arms over this are authoritarian pricks who hate free speech #GOWILDCATS."

Activists at All Eyes on UNH, a group that worked to expose incidents of racism last semester, unearthed this video.

"The girls sing the n-word without thinking of the implications," they said. "This is a showcase of ignorance and that the Panhellenic Council should do better in combating racism. The first step is addressing willful ignorance."

UNH went into meltdown last May over a spate of racist incidents as a number of white students appeared in blackface, swastikas were graffitied on residence halls and the n-word was found scrawled outside the office of a black teacher.

A vandalized display at UNH last semester

It culminated in a black student having a rock thrown at him and a display for students of color vandalized.

A Snap of a UNH student in blackface last semester

In response to the latest video, UNH's Dean of Students John Kirkpatrick, said: "The use of that word runs counter to our values. Moreover, it is a word that diminishes members of our community. The posting has been reported to the national chapter. Both the university and the national chapter are investigating the matter."

We have contacted Kanye West's representation and Alpha Phi for comment and will update if we hear back.