Melania’s deportation would have been ‘priority’ under Trump’s immigration order

The executive order hit very close to home

Hide Images

Trump’s abhorred immigration order has terrifying implications for many, but his own wife would have been a “priority” deportation under the action

It’s no secret that Melania worked in the US illegally, earning over $20,000 from 10 separate modeling jobs, according to the AP — and she did it all without a legal work visa.

Under the President’s executive order, signed on Jan. 25, priority deportation was placed on those who “engaged in fraud or willful misrepresentation in connection with any official matter or application before a governmental agency.”

And according to immigration attorney Hasan Shafiqullah, that would’ve meant Melania.

“If the current executive order on interior enforcement and the related Homeland Security memoranda on interior enforcement had been in effect at that time, then she would have certainly been an enforcement priority,” Shafiqullah told Slate.

Basically, had Trump’s order been signed at the time of Melania’s crime, she would have been a deportation priority.

Though we could all imagine a world in which Trump stops to examine his actions, how close to home they hit and evaluate how we can help immigrants who are contributing to our society (because, newsflash: they all do), that’s not the world we live in.