No, Drake didn’t tell a fan to remove her hijab

‘Never pay attention to the rumors and what they assume’

Hide Images

The past 24 hours has Drake under fire as some London concertgoers accuse him of heckling a fan into removing her hijab.

Rumors of the incident started swirling after the rapper was filmed speaking to fans from the stage of his Boy Meets World tour.

“I see you four girls right there, I hope you having a good time,” he starts off. Drake is known for his interactive performance style, talking with and teasing fans throughout shows. The video then captures Drake speaking to one audience member directly, saying, “You got on that hot-ass scarf right there, you might want to take this off.”

This the filmed incident blew up on social media as some viewers interpreted the scarf to be a hijab. Drake, though, was quick to hit back at what he called a “fake media story” and said the scarf in question was clearly a winter scarf worn along with a coat.

“I make a point every night to end my shows on a time of unity and love so, to find out that I am being utilized in a fake media story about me disrespecting Muslims is devastating to me,” Drake said in his full statement on Instagram.

“At my show I’m the O2 in London I was talking to four women, one of whom was wearing a jacket and a winter scarf, I made a comment about taking off the scarf because I enjoy a friendly banter with the fans. I am well aware of what a hijab is and I would never make a disrespectful comment like that in my life towards someone who is wearing one. I am proud that my closest friends and fans come from all different religions and races, perhaps whoever made up this story should spend more time learning about other cultures and less time trying to divide us.”

Considering Drake is more or less known for his progressive stance — and he even uses stage time to blast D*nald Tr*mp — we knew this was probably false from the get-go.

The girl in the scarf remains unknown and hasn’t spoken out about the matter.