A fashion student explains why fashion is so important

At the end of the day, you shouldn’t dress for others. You dress your own body, not someone else’s

Fashion is a constant presence in a person’s life. It is a daily task of choosing what clothing to put on your body for the day, and it is not only used to protect modesty, but it is used for self expression. Although, fashion can be tricky – there are so many supposed “rules” as to how to dress for different occasions, and what is considered in style, and not in style. With this in mind, it’s hard to know the do’s and don’ts of fashion, or if there are really don’ts in fashion.

Jess Trusio is a current fashion student at the Fashion Institute of Technology, or F.I.T. for short – a fashion school in New York City, one of the worlds fashion capitals. Not only does Jess has a very artsy Instagram account which demonstrates her eye for style, but she has been in love with the fashion industry since she was young.

How did you first get into fashion? How long have you loved fashion?

My mom gave me a sewing machine when I was a kid, and her mom gave it to her before that, so it was special to me. Because of that, I started sewing at a young age. I really got into fashion around middle school, in the eighth grade, and it soon transformed from a hobby into a serious interest in fashion.

Jess posing with one of her works

Why did you choose to go to fashion school? What do you hope to accomplish with a degree in fashion?

I chose to go to fashion school when I realized my hobby that I had as a kid could actually become a career. I realized there were people who shared the same interest in my hobby, and that they made full fledged careers out of it.

In fashion, your career goes by in a blink of an eye. By the time you’re older, let’s say in your forties or fifties, you aren’t as useful anymore. Because fashion is always changing, they need new and fresh people who bring new ideas to the industry. I hope to move my way up in a company, and my goal for the future would be to achieve the head designer position.

A photo of one of Jess’s projects, in the process of being made

Is it a tough industry to be in?  What are some of the hardships you face as a rising student in fashion?

It’s really tough. And to be honest, I feel that the hardships come from the fact that people don’t think it’s hard. People highly underestimated how hard the fashion industry really is. People are ignorant to the hard work that goes behind the clothing they see in stores. It’s just hard to truly understand if you aren’t in the industry.

Jess (pictured on the right), in a long floral summer dress and top knot

How would you describe your style?

Very clean.  I’m really into being comfortable in my clothing because in my opinion my body shape is not great with tighter fitting clothing. I like different styles but I like looking put together and having a very clean look to my outfits.

What would you say to people who are afraid to dress differently for fear of being made fun of?

Other people’s opinions don’t matter. Sometimes people’s opinions do matter, like in job interviews, although thats a whole different thing. But the bottom line is that we only have one time to be ourselves as a person. Wear what you want as a person because that’s what matters. Clothes express what people think, and if you dress like everyone else you aren’t expressing what you think.

Jess shown wearing a vintage Vera Wang dress that was found in a closet at F.I.T., where she currently attends fashion school

At the end of the day, you shouldn’t dress for others. You dress your own body, not someone else’s. As such, you should feel free to express yourself no matter what people will say. Fashion is a very accessible way to show your personality, and fashion is always changing. Because of its fast paced nature, fashion is also a way to have fun on the daily.

Fashion is personal. It allows you to chose how you wish to present yourself to the world, and allows you to realized what you are comfortable with and what you dislike about yourself. There is nothing wrong with dressing in order to feel flattering, but never hide your true self.

To me, fashion is similar to beauty. Both make the user feel more beautiful, and both have the function of accentuating the features of an already beautiful person. They’re also both platforms which allow a person to take risks. The same as a person using glitter eyeliner, fashion allows a person to try those trendy silhouettes without fear of being made fun of.

There is nothing wrong with choosing to dress differently, as long as it makes you feel beautiful, and you feel as if your clothing choices show your personality and thoughts.

So wear those high heels, and slip on those culottes. Strut down the street like it’s a runway, and never forget your clothes will feel great because you choose to wear them, not because someone will like you in them.

More stories recommended by this author