Breaking News

Two arrested on suspicion of attempted murder after stabbing at Sherbourne halls

A 19-year-old man has been taken to hospital with stab wounds, though they are not thought to be life-threatening

Two 18-year-olds have been arrested on suspicion of attempted murder after a stabbing took place yesterday at the Sherbourne halls of accommodation.

Police were called to campus at 4.32pm on Wednesday 17th November after reports of a man being stabbed at the halls on Scarman Road. The man was taken to hospital, where his injuries are not thought to be life-threatening.

The police arrested an 18-year-old woman from London and an 18-year-old man from Kings Langley, Hertfordshire on suspicion of attempted murder.

Detective Inspector Cawail Wong, a spokesman for Warwickshire Police, said: “This was a serious incident in which a young man has suffered stab wounds. I would appeal to anyone with information about it to contact police.”

A spokesman for West Midlands Ambulance Service said: “We were called to reports of a stabbing near to Gibbet Hill Road at 4.24pm yesterday. One ambulance, a paramedic officer and the Warwickshire and Northamptonshire Air Ambulance were sent to the scene.

“On arrival we discovered one male patient who was treated for serious injuries before being taken to hospital by land ambulance. The air crew travelled on the back of the ambulance to help continue treatment enroute to hospital.”

Two 18-tear-olds were arrested on suspicion of attempted murder

The uni posted a statement to their Twitter account, acknowledging that an ‘incident’ had taken place, and that emergency services were working with their community safety team.

They also stated alternative accommodation, food and support would be provided to any students affected, as there have been reports of some students being asked to leave their rooms whilst police were on the scene.

They later tweeted to reassure those concerned by the continued police presence at the accommodation that there was no danger to staff or students, and that the ‘incident’ had now concluded.

Students at the uni have also been posting on social media, sharing videos of the police surrounding the accommodation. One person wrote on social media: “Apparently the police had guns on them too. I don’t understand why I thought these things would not happen in Warwick.” There are several unconfirmed reports of what may have happened prior to the stabbing, The Tab Warwick is working to confirm these.