Second year Warwick student described as a ‘kind gentle soul’ has died

Jack Austin was the president of the Glee society

Jack Austin, a second-year Sociology student at University of Warwick and President of the Glee society, died two weeks ago on 23rd October.

Students were informed of the tragic news through Jack’s friends in Warwick Glee. He was President of the society this year. The news was then shared to his coursemates.

“We all loved Jack dearly, and I know this is not news anyone wanted or expected,” said the Glee society message.

“This society meant an awful lot to him.”

The university gave a statement on the news:  “We are deeply saddened to confirm that Jack Austin, an undergraduate student in Sociology, has died.

“Professor Azrini Wahidin, Jack’s class teacher, described him as a kind, gentle soul who was engaging and thoughtful. She further said: ‘It was a privilege to have had the opportunity to have taught him’.”

If you are struggling with stress or experiencing any mental health issues, there is help available. 

The Warwick Wellbeing Support Services, offering self-help resources and one-to-one counselling, can be found here. You can also contact Samaritans on 116 123 at any time.

You matter.