Lewis Capaldi spotted on Notts Uni campus testing out new Tourettes device

Lewis invited the team of researchers to his gig in Nottingham

Lewis Capaldi trialled a new device at the University of Nottingham. The device aims to help control tics for people with Tourettes Syndrome.

Capaldi, who had recently opened up to fans about his Tourettes diagnosis, was in Nottingham on the 27th January to perform at the Motorpoint Arena as part of his Broke By Desire To Be Heavenly Sent tour.

The device in question is being developed by Professor Stephen Jackson in the University of Nottingham’s School of Psycology and spinout company Neopulse. It sits on the wrist like a watch, aiming to reduce tics by intercepting signals to the brain.

Neopulse is a company researching how the brain networks that give rise to tics in Tourette syndrome could be effectively modified or controlled using non-invasive forms of brain stimulation, so as to bring about a reduction in tics.

The university said that Capaldi’s manager reached out after he read about the device and was keen to try it.

Prof Jackson said to the BBC: “The results were remarkable – Lewis stated that the stimulation made him feel calmer and the device clearly suppressed the head and shoulder tics which can be quite painful for him.”

“He was also very kind to the research team, taking the time for selfies and photographs with the team.

“He also very generously invited the whole team to his Friday night concert in Nottingham.”

Featured image via Facebook 

• Police looking for man after DJ decks were stolen from a Nottingham student accom

• Notts grad Avi Sharma back with fresh bars after Apprentice win

• Notts bar Brass Monkey allowed to extend opening hours until 5am despite police objection