Arrest made after fire broke out at old Newcastle University hall in suspected arson attack

No one is believed to have been injured in the fire

A man has been arrested following a fire at Henderson Old Hall, an old Newcastle University student accommodation in Heaton.

The fast acting fire broke out just before 2.30pm on 8th June and lasted until around 8pm with almost 50 firefighters in attendance.

A man has been arrested by Northumbria Police in connection with the fire on suspicion of arson but has since been released on bail, the BBC reports.

Henderson Old Hall is a Grade II listed building near the University-owned Cochrane Park Sports Complex and was a Newcastle University student hall but has been vacant for a few years.

No one was in the building at the time the fire broke out and no injuries have been reported. However, nearby residents were urged to keep windows and doors shut to prevent smoke from getting into homes.

The aftermath of the fire has devastated the roof of the building, according to images from the scene.

Emergency services were still on scene the following morning, with roads closed off.

Newcastle University a statement, alongside a black and white photo of the building when it was, which said: “We are all sad to hear the news of a fire at Henderson Old Hall.

“Although it had been empty for a few years, it housed many memories for our alumni community. The fire is now extinguished and no injuries have been reported. We’re working with authorities on their investigation.”

Featured image via Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service on Twitter.