Breaking News

Newcastle Uni lectures to be held in Soho Rooms to encourage students to attend

Senior staff made the decision after attendance this semester was at an all time low

Newcastle University has announced plans to hold lectures in the popular nightclub Soho Rooms to motivate more students to attend.

The news comes after attendance over the last semester was significantly low, with students opting to watch recordings of the lectures online instead.

Senior figures at the university believe that holding lectures in the night club is an ideal way to encourage those students who may live closer to the city centre or Shieldfield student accommodation to actually attend in person.

The plans were announced via the university’s website this morning and any student affected by the change in location will be emailed by course leaders as well as being notified on the Newcastle University app.

In a statement, Newcastle University said: “This last semester we have seen a significant fall in attendance to in-person lectures, with many opting to instead watch a recording of lectures online.

“So after lengthy conversations with different schools at the university, the decision was made t0 hold off-campus lectures at the local nightclub Soho Rooms to encourage attendance and create a new immersive experience.

“This decision was not taken lightly and we hope both students and lecturers support us through this.”

The uni confirmed the plans will be rolled out at the beginning of the third semester and continue into the 2023/24 academic year.

Soho Rooms Manager, Chris Morrell, said: “We are so excited that Newcastle University has chosen Soho to educate their students. Everyone loves coming to Soho to play hard, so why not come here to work hard?

“Both alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks will be on offer throughout the day, including our famous trebs deal, as well as booths and tables on every floor to allow students to get on with their studies. We can’t wait to welcome you all very soon.”

There has been no confirmation of which courses will be involved in the location change, however, a spokesperson from the university said: “The sound system and decks will be ideal for those students studying music and media related courses.

“Chemistry students may be offered an optional module in Mixology at the nightclub run by industry experts and Sports Science students will be encouraged to work with the security team to learn the art of being a bouncer.”

All lectures running from 5pm to 6pm will turn into a pres held at the club with all students in attendance at this time offered a free Treb.

Concerned about how this may affect you? Message us on Instagram and have your say.

P.S – check the date you April Fool!

Want to write stories like this? Join the team, no experience required. DM us via @TheTabNewcastle on Instagram or The Tab Newcastle on Facebook.

Featured image via Soho Rooms.