Newcastle student died from the ‘effects of alcohol and ketamine’, inquest hears
Jeni Larmour died after her first night out after arriving at university
The cause of death of 18-year-old Jeni Larmour was revealed to be the result of effects of alcohol and ketamine, following an inquest.
Jeni died on October 3rd 2020 following her first night in Newcastle, after travelling from Newtonhamilton, County Armagh to study urban planning and architecture. She had been in the city only a few hours before being found dead.
Home Office pathologist Dr Nigel Cooper announced yesterday, October 11th, that it was a combination of the effects of both substances that were likely to have severely depressed her nervous system, which led to her death.
On the night of her death she collapsed in her flat at Park View student accommodation, after returning to the halls to collect her ID as she had been refused entry in the city centre.
Kavir Kalliecharan, a flatmate of Jeni’s who returned to the halls with her in a taxi, told the inquest that after arriving back at the flat, Jeni came into his room with two small bags, one containing ketamine. He claimed that they both inhaled lines of the powder through their nostrils before feeling dizzy.
Emergency services found Jeni deceased at her university halls at 5:30am and toxicology reports showed she had a blood alcohol level of 197mg per 100ml and also had 1.3mg of ketamine per litre of blood.
Jeni was described to have an “electric personality” by her mother, Sandra, and was former deputy head girl at Royal School Armagh, where she was a high academic achiever and attained four A*’s across four A-Levels.
Sandra paid tribute to her daughter earlier in the inquest, saying Jeni was a “do it now and do it to perfection person” and that she flourished at school with her “huge personality, confidence and humour”.
She said: “It is a huge loss to me, her father David, brother Daniel and our extended family. I also believe it is a huge loss to Newcastle University and the planning world she would have joined.”
If you or someone you know has been affected by this story, please speak to someone or contact Samaritans on 116 123 at any time. You can also contact Anxiety UK on 03444 775 774, Mind on 0300 123 3393, and Calm (Campaign against living miserably) on 0800 58 58 58. You can visit the Frank website or call the Frank drugs helpline on 0300 123 6600.