Ten arrested after three students die from suspected ketamine and MDMA usage

There were four suspected drug related deaths this weekend in total

Ten arrests have been made as part of an ongoing police investigation following four suspected drug-related deaths this weekend, three of which were students.

According to The Chronicle, officers have confirmed that drugs including ketamine and MDMA are suspected to have been a factor in the deaths.

18-year-old Newcastle University student Jeni Larmour, who died in the early hours of Saturday morning, is believed to have taken ketamine and was pronounced dead at her student accommodation.

On Sunday afternoon another 18-year-old Newcastle University student, who has not yet been named, was also pronounced dead at the Park View student accommodation. It is believed that ketamine was present at the address.

Furthermore, a 21-year-old Northumbria University student was taken to hospital after taking a quantity of MDMA but died shortly after.

A student living in a neighboring block at Park View told The Daily Mail: “I’ve seen a video of the guy being arrested outside Block Three after the girl was found unresponsive in the flat she shared.

“Block Three was immediately locked down by the police and no one was allowed in or out. He was quickly brought out by the police and driven away.

“The word around the student village is that a bad batch of pills has been offered around and some people have got hold of them. Lockdown hasn’t helped the situation.”

Chief Inspector Steve Wykes said: “This weekend we have seen the tragic loss of four young lives and our thoughts continue to be with the family and friends of those who have sadly died.

“Although our investigations are at an early stage and we continue to establish the circumstances around these tragedies, we want to reiterate our warning to people against taking drugs for recreational use.

“The consequences could cost you your life.

“We will continue to work with both universities and will be increasing our patrols in the areas where these tragedies have occurred.”

At around 1pm this afternoon, Vice-Chancellor of Newcastle University Chris Day sent out an email to students stating: “It is with the greatest sadness that I am writing to inform you that over the weekend, two of your fellow students have tragically lost their lives.

“We are heartbroken and our thoughts and condolences are with their families, friends and loved ones at this most difficult of times.”