18-year-old Newcastle University student found dead in halls

An 18-year-old male has been arrested in connection with her death

An 18-year-old female Newcastle student has died after being found unresponsive at Newcastle University accommodation in the early hours of Saturday morning.

An 18-year-old male has been arrested in connection with the death but has since been released on bail. Statements have been issued by the university warning students about drug safety, though the cause of death has not yet been confirmed.

Emergency services were called to Park View accommodation on Richardson Road at around 6am and Northumbria Police confirmed that the woman was pronounced dead at the scene.

According to The Chronicle, a Northumbria Police spokesperson said: “At 6.06am on Saturday police received a report via the ambulance service of an unresponsive woman at an address on Richardson Road in Newcastle.

“Emergency services attended where sadly the woman – aged 18 – was pronounced dead at the scene.” Enquiries are ongoing but the police confirmed the death was not believed to be Covid-19 related.

Since news of the death, statements have been issued by Newcastle University and Northumbria Police warning students of the “potentially lethal” strength of drugs and asking them to be safe. Newcastle University also reminded students that selling and taking drugs is an illegal act.

The email, which was sent to all students from Newcastle Vice-Chancellor Chris Day, said: “I know how different the start of this term has been and that it is exciting to be back at University with your friends after the last six months. But your safety is in your hands.

“If you drink, then make sure you do so sensibly and that you look after each other. Remember, it is against the law to take and supply drugs and it is also extremely dangerous. Batches of drugs can vary in purity and strength and are potentially lethal, and mixing drugs with alcohol further increases this risk.”

Northumbria Police have said: “We would urge anybody thinking about taking drugs to please not take the risk. The consequences could cost you your life.

“If anyone has any information about who has supplied the drugs in question then we would also encourage them to contact us at the earliest opportunity.”