The Leeds Tab is looking for a News Editor, and we want you!

Applications close on Wednesday 9th October 2024 at 23:59

The Leeds Tab is accepting applications for the new 2024/2025 editorial team!

The position available is News Editor.

Applications close on Wednesday 9th October 2024 at 23:59.

This is an incredible opportunity to make a real contribution to a student media company that is read by thousands of students every month.

All current students are welcome to apply and journalism experience is not a requirement as you’ll receive training from experienced editors and journalists from The Tab HQ. The only requirements are that you must be a current university student in Leeds, and you must be available to attend and help run weekly meetings.

Being an editor for The Leeds Tab is fantastic for your CV. It opens up loads of opportunities for you and also lets you meet new people so it’ll not only boost your resume but your social circle too. You’ll also get opportunities to write for the national site, The Tab, which is read by more than nine million readers each month.

Editors are also invited to London twice yearly to meet the national writers, have training, and occasionally get a free curry. What more could you want?

What will I be doing as Leeds’ News Editor?

It’s important to stay informed and knowledgeable about all the latest news in Leeds by keeping your ear to the ground.

The fast-paced nature of news requires careful selection in your work. When a story emerges, you need to be able to work swiftly and efficiently to get it published.

The News Editor is in charge of creating news articles for The Leeds Tab, writing every week, and assisting the Editor in Chief by editing articles.

You’ll also commission stories to writers, and occasionally help with features, if required.

You’ll be working on stories like these; search underway after University of Leeds staff member goes missing in the French Alps and University of Leeds and Leeds City Council condemn far-right riots in new statements.

If you want to apply for any of the advertised roles, please fill out this Google form: