The 11 best date night spots in Hyde Park and Headingley

Yep, you heard us right – it’s cuffing season

Alarming for some, but maybe good news for others, the end of October officially marks the start of cuffing season. As winter approaches, single mates seem to drop like flies.

Whether you’ve just got into a relationship, been going strong for years or looking for some inspo for your next Hinge match, we wanted to give you a rundown of the best local places for date night. Who knows, you might find your new favourite spot.

East Village

A hidden gem in Hyde Park, East Village is a dive bar offering up some amazing cocktails.

In the unsuspecting location that is Brudenell Grove (a few doors up from Wingdom) it has an unmatched ambience and offers different two for one deals each evening – so check out the menu to see what deal takes your fancy.

The dimly lit bar supplies all the romantic vibes and if the delicious cocktails aren’t enough for you, there’s also a host of boardgames available to play.

Hyde Park Book Club

Hyde Park Book Club is a great spot with plenty of variety – from food and drinks to live events ranging from comedy to jazz, there’s something to suit everyone. It’s funky decor fits right in with the Leeds vibe, so if you’re wanting your date to think you’re edgy, it’s definitely one to try.

Hyde Park Picture House

Though maybe not for a first date, because cinema’s aren’t the best place for a chat (unless you want sweet treats lobbed at your head by other viewers),Hyde Park Picture House is a lovely place to visit if you want something a little bit different. The only gas-lit cinema in the country, the Picture House re-opened over the summer after being closed for three years for building work, and you can catch everything from big box office hits to independent movies there.

Cottage Road Cinema

If Headingley is closer to you, why not give this cinema a try? Again, if you make it past the first date (well done soldier), this is a cute and less chatty date option. A fun fact for you history lovers, it’s also the oldest remaining cinema in continuous use in Leeds!

Kuala Lumpur Cafe

Situated in Headingley and specialising in Malaysian cuisine, Kuala Lumpur is a great date spot for the food lovers out there. The award-winning restaurant offers a small menu bursting with flavour, and it’s also BYOB, so if you’re fancying a cheaper night, it’s perfect.

Chef Shabba

Again, if you’re a foodie, definitely try out another gem in the heart of Hyde Park – Chef Shabba’s Restaurant & Bar.

This place supplies the music and the vibes, so if you want a more upbeat date maybe start the evening here and see where the night takes you.

Lupe’s Cantina

If your date loves Mexican food, then be sure to take them here. This low-key restaurant on Cardigan Road is a firm student favourite serving up traditional small plates, including street food and tacos, and and great drinks.

De Baga

Indian food your weakness? Look no further. De Baga in Headingley offers delicious traditional cuisine and drinks, for very reasonable prices. We can confirm the house chicken curry is one of our all time favourites.

Bottle Chop

Nestled in Far Headingley, Bottle Chop is a gorgeous natural wine and beer shop, bar AND deli.

If your date is a classy wine lover, you’ll be sure to impress them with this sophisticated date choice. We’d recommend trying the orange wine and one of the charcuterie boards – they are to die for!

Fika North

Located a five minute walk from Headingley Arndale, Fika North is a delicious little spot serving speciality coffee, pastries and food, all sourced from independent suppliers across Leeds, Yorkshire and the UK.

You can also satisfy your alcohol needs with beers, cocktails and wine – so come here if you want a bit of everything (or if the date goes well just spend the entire day here!).

Coffee on The Crescent

Found on Hyde Park Corner, Coffee on The Crescent has it all: Plants and artwork you can buy and AMAZING coffee and food.

It’s always quite busy here, so you’re best getting there earlier on in the day, but if you can get a space it’s definitely worth taking your date.