Layering up over the winter chill: Fashion in the Forum is back for 2023

Ditch the joggers, it’s all about maxi skirts and layering

You would think that with a new year, there would be fresh starts and resolutions – perhaps to get a better style? January exams and a frosty start to the year sadly meant that style was lacking, as campus was swarmed by joggers and puffer jackets.

Thankfully, some of you managed to pull through and provide some excellent content for Fashion in the Forum, for which I am grateful. As always with Winter seasons, layering is the go-to for keeping warm and looking fire: the most popular this year being funky scarves, arm warmers and oversized jackets. Thin rah scarves are out (sorry to the horse racing girlies), and the chunkier knit is in! Hopefully, this edition can provide some ways to style what mummy and daddy got you for Christmas.

Oxiana, third year, Politics and IR, @oxianacanellas

Where is everything you’re wearing from?

Jeans – Motel.

Jacket – Her friend’s godfather’s from when he was younger (bit of a mouthful that).

Jumper – H&M.

Scarf – A shop in Spain (good luck finding that one Urban Outfitters girlies).

What is your favourite element of your outfit?

Definitely my jeans because they’re really comfy and fit just right. It’s always hard to find the perfect pair so when you do you have to worship that brand forever.

Do you think your style has changed since last year?

Yes 100 per cent, I borrow clothes a lot more now (wouldn’t have guessed that from the jacket) so my style is more mix-and-match. Trading clothes with your friends is very sustainable and a good way to feel as though you’ve bought something new.

Do you have anything new from Christmas that you currently love?

I got a new knitted cardigan which is oversized and that’s become my new go-to because its comfortable and I can wear it with anything. (It’s giving Grandma but make it cool.)

Izzy, second year, Maths, @izzy.roselola

I’m wearing half of my clothes from charity shops and the other half is from Urban Outfitters (as is any other Exetah student).

My gloves! (We have to say this is why we picked Izzy’s outfit – the gloves paired with the arm warmers make for a cosy but cool look.)

What is your favourite thing to layer with in Winter?

I think that a classic is a long-sleeved shirt underneath a short sleeve, you can’t go wrong.

Can you predict any fashion trends for this year?

There will definitely be more moon boots. (We agree, they’ve been on the rise on campus… Après ski-themed social anyone?)

Hannah, second year, Physics, sadly no Instagram (mysterious)

Coat – Windsmoor.

Skirt – Vintage shop in Oxford.

Jumper – Hobbs.

(These brands are definitely giving rah.)

My coat because it’s really fun to swish around (it’s almost like she’s in a movie) and it helps put my outfit together.

Where is your favourite place to get clothes?

Mango and Phase Eight always have hidden gems, as does eBay – they are so underrated! Vintage shops are also a necessity and it’s really good to see they are becoming more popular with younger people.

Wilson, third year, Ancient History, @wilsonj09

Jacket – Somewhere in Amsterdam.

Jeans – Vintage shop in London.

Shoes – Reebok.

My jumper because it’s versatile and goes with almost everything I own. Everyone needs a staple jumper in their winter wardrobe.

More retro stuff. It’s more on-trend to buy from vintage shops than high street brands now, and I think that will only continue. Fashion also seems to be in a cycle of reusing trends from the past, it’s just whether it will be the 60s or 70s that come next.

Poppy, second year, Classics @poppyy.hill

No description available.

Where is everything you are wearing from?

Shoes – Doc Martens.

Dungarees – Sobey’s.

Jumper – Depop.

Red vest and white thermal – M&S boys and M&S girls (we love a resourceful queen, note to self: the kid’s section is a MUST).

What is your favourite part of your outfit?

My dungarees! I wore them yesterday as well.

Do you prefer dressing for summer or winter?

Neither, I prefer spring. It is cold enough so you can still layer but not so cold that you have to prioritise warmth over fashion.

What trend do you predict for 2023?

Hmm. I’m normally good at this kind of thing. What am I thinking at the moment…well what I’ve been looking for is those puff ball skirts that are like little pom-poms that go out and then in. Yeah, so that.

Lydia, third year, Sociology and Criminology, @lydia.psmith

No description available.

It is all pretty much Urban Outfitters, apart from the jumper which is Pull and Bear.

Definitely the scarf because it adds a pop of colour to my outfit (we agree, PSA: Exetah girlies, ditch the thin scarves and get something cosier)

What fashion trend do you predict for 2023?

I’m seeing a lot of latex on TikTok lately, but it is not a trend I would personally participate in (but who wouldn’t want to look like they’re trying to get into Berghain?)

Doja, third year, Sociology and Criminology, @dojamanzo

No description available.

Skirt – Charity shop.

Shirt and denim jacket – My dad’s.

Jacket – eBay.

Shoes – Vintage.

Which fashion trend do you predict for 2023 and would you participate in it?

I predict dad shirts coming back, and yes I already am! You heard it here first everyone, stop stealing from you sister’s wardrobe and start taking from dad’s.

Mimi, third year, Classical Studies, @mimi.emrys

Jacket – eBay.

Jumper and trousers – A flea market in Italy.

Shoes – Doc Martens.

My jacket! It’s the best second-hand purchase I’ve ever made and I wear it with everything.

I think ballet flats or ballerina kind of style could become a thing but no that is not for me.

Ben, lingering Graduate, English, @_benaharrison_

Leather jacket – My Grandad.

Shirt – Somewhere in Berlin.

Jeans – An old pair of vintage ones I reworked (if only the rest of us had THIS much talent, sigh).

Vest – Uniqlo.

Fisherman outfits and yeah I’d want to be a fisherman (fair enough).