Fashion in the Forum: Invades Races edition

Someone spent a whopping £720 on their outfit

Welcome to a Fashion in the Forum special, featuring one of the biggest events in the Exetah calendar, the races, otherwise known as the day of rah. A day of drinking, betting, and losing copious amounts of money has provided some first class fits: it seems that Afghan coats, flat caps and scarves are THE popular trends. Even if you didn’t make it, we hope that this gives you some inspiration for the next races, and perhaps even some for the winter season. Exeter certainly came out and turned Newton Abbot into Ascot.

Read on if you love a man in tweed:

Helena and Emily, first and second year, Bioscience and Business and Management, @_helenashannon, @em.watts11 

What is your favourite part of your outfit?

Helena: The fingerless gloves – they are incredibly practical because they’re quite warm but still really cute!

Emily: It has to be my scarf or flat cap (sadly not wearing it in this picture). The scarf is not only really comfortable but I feel as though it compliments my jacket nicely.

Have you been to the races before? What do you like about races fashion?

Helena: I’ve gone to the races at home before (big up Cheltenham), but I hadn’t been to the ones at uni yet. What do I like about races fashion? Men in tweed. That is all.

Emily: No I haven’t before but it’s something I’ve wanted to do for a while because it’s a key part of Exetah culture. My favourite part of races fashion is also men in tweed (we get it ladies).

Where are your clothes from? How much did your outfit cost?

Helena: A combination of Zara, Vinted, and Brora – overall probably around £250

Emily: All of my outfit is from Vinted so only around £17! It was my first time using Vinted and I’d definitely do it again because its a lot more sustainable than where I normally shop (Urban Outfitters is my guilty pleasure).

Izzy, Polly, Nell and Flo, second year, Politics and IR, History, and English, @isabellexroberts, @polly.allan, @nellgibbs_, @fl0rencesabry_

Nell: Hmm probably my boots or scarf (we have to say the scarf was definitely our favourite part – a pop of colour against the black dress makes for an incredible statement piece).

Flo: I love my hat! It’s my dad’s John Lennon hat but I think it’s quite trendy. I also like my heeled boots but they’re not the comfiest (fashion is pain).

Izzy: I went last year and I love it; it’s a great way to see outfits that people wouldn’t ordinarily choose to wear around campus and can dress up a little bit more.

Polly: Once before, and I love how much effort everyone puts in because it’s a special occasion.

Nell: Yes I have – it’s always fun to see everyone get dressed up. Exeter students love an excuse for a schoffel!

Flo: I went last year in November. I love the tweed jackets and Afghan coats – they’re such a classic races item! It’s great for giving me fitspo for winter.

Where are your clothes from? 

Izzy: My coat is Charlotte Simone, jumper is ASOS, skirt is Zara, bag is Prada, and my boots are Urban Outfitters.

Polly: A mix of Zara and second hand clothes.

Nell: Dress is Zara, leather blazer is from Vinted, scarf and boots are ASOS, and my bag is from a small boutique shop in Topsham.

Flo: My dress is from Zara, I borrowed my boots from a friend and the coat is obviously Urban Outfitters!

Hannah (centre), second year, History, @hannahdiamondd

My fluffy hat. We have got to agree – it really stood out against the flat caps and was such an interesting headpiece!

Yeah I went last year, and I like how the clothes aren’t like everyday clubbing attire because it makes a nice change from a typical cargo and crop top outfit.

Where are your clothes from? 

They are all charity shop items or clothes I’ve stolen from my mum (we LOVE a second hand queen).

Charlie (left),  first year, Geography, @charlie_crisp_

The Over Jacket because it’s really smart and goes well with the rest of my outfit.

Yes I go to Ascot most months when it’s on. I love the country theme and the smart look of the people here because it’s different to the joggers you see on campus with everyone rushing to their lectures.

My shirt and quarter zip are Polo Ralph, my Over Jacket is from Moss Bros and my shoes are Dr Marten (rah). Overall, my outfit is probably around £720 (yes, we are screaming, crying, and throwing up at this).

Ed (left) and Jake (right), third year, German and Arabic and Economics, @eddiesavs, @jakemurdoch_

Where is everything you’re wearing from? 

Ed: The jacket is my grandfather’s, the tie was a gift and the jumper is Polo.

Jake: The jumper is Crewe, tie is Charles Tyrwhitt, as is the shirt.

Have you been to the races before? If so, why have you come back?

Ed: Not in Newton Abbot, but I’ve been to the races in Cheltenham.

Jake: Yes I went last year and thought it was good fun, so I made the trek from Liverpool Street for it this year.

Did you win anything? 

Ed: Best dressed.

Jake: I’m 80 in the red.

Luke (left) and James (right), second year, Business Management and Economics, @luke.sebastian.weir, @jamess_anderson

Luke: My jackets a barber jacket and then a Schöffel. My hat is Failsworth so proper farmer stuff, and my wellies are Le Chameau.

James: My suit is… *checks label* whatever that says (- it was John Brocklehurst).

Luke: No, but 10/10 would recommend it.

James: No, first time. But I would come back!

Maddy (left) and Inca (right), third year, Medical Sciences and Biochemistry, @maddyadamson, @incapadfield

Maddy: My jacket is from a charity shop, I’m not sure which brand but the scarf is Pure collection. The hat I just found in my grandparents’ attic.

Inca: My scarf is from a charity shop, mostly second hand stuff.

Maddy: No, never – I’m afraid.

Did you win anything?

Maddy: I won £18, then lost it all, then made £12 (beginner’s luck).

Jessica (left) and Kate (right), third year, @jessicathainn, @katewardley

Kate: My scarf is from a Cambridge boutique, my coat is from Topshop and trousers are from Bershka.

Jessica: My bag is from Levi’s and the scarf is from Subdued.

Kate: Yes, I have! I just came back for the fun of it.

Jessica: Yes, I came back because I bought a ticket…