Justice: Meadows rapist jailed for six years

He’s also been added to the sex offenders’ list

Steven Davidson has been jailed for six years, after being found guilty of the “horrendous” rape of 19 year old student in the Meadows.

24 year old Davidson will be subject to a supervision order for 2 years after his release, and remain on the sex offenders’ register indefinitely.

At the High Court Lady Stacey, the presiding judge, said Davidson had shown no remorse or understanding of what he had done. A post-trial assessment of Mr Davidson concluded that he remains a threat to the public.

Lady Stacey added that he still denied the rape, despite the DNA evidence and verdict of the trial.

Steven Davidson in his mug shot

The student was returning home from a party on Saturday, November 15th, 2014 when the assault happened.

The victim said, “He was running straight behind me. He was grabbing me by the neck with his arm.”

She lost consciousness during the attack, and came to with her attacker – Steven Davidson – on top of her.

She described the attack as “a struggle for life”.

The victim thought it was a friend coming up behind her before the attack at 7am, when Davidson then attacked her before running off.

A forensic team in the Meadows.

Detective Chief Inspector Alwyn Bell described the incident as a “horrendous ordeal” for the victim.

“I would like to acknowledge the courage and bravery of the victim who has greatly assisted in ensuring that this dangerous predator has been removed from our streets for a considerable length of time.

“She is determined to overcome the trauma of this incident and the callous actions of Steven Davidson.

Lady Stacey told Davidson: “The conduct that you carried out was violent, sexual and very frightening.

“The woman you attacked was making her way home on a path used by many people in Edinburgh.”

On account of the attack Elizabeth Kerry, manager of Meadow Court, started a petition to improve CCTV and lighting in the Meadows, which gained 2,800 supporters.

But the council said that due to “cost and trees restricting views” CCTV would not be beneficial and that the subject would not be pursued further.

Procurator fiscal Kenny Donnelly said: “This was a despicable attack on a defenceless young woman, picked at random as she walked home.”