Teenager victim of ‘horrific’ sex attack in Meadows

Police are urging anyone with information to come forward

A teenager was sexually assaulted in the Meadows early yesterday morning.

The 19-year-old was attacked somewhere between 6:50 am and 7:10am on Saturday.

She was coming back from Cowgate, when she was knocked to the ground and assaulted by an unknown man.

The sex attack happened on Jawbone Walk, part of Middle Meadow Walk.

Forensic team on Jawbone Walk

Forensic team on Jawbone Walk.

The man was described as white and wearing dark clothes and a dark hat, and ran off after the attack.

The victim was then helped by a passer-by.

The area was cordoned off by police yesterday as a forensics team swept the scene for evidence.

Detective Chief Inspector Alwyn Bell said: “This has been a horrific attack on a young woman and she is understandably extremely distressed at this time.

Police officers in the Meadows.

Police officers in the Meadows.

“This incident took place in an area that is often busy with joggers, dog walkers and other members of the public, regardless of the time of night and I would urge anyone who was in the Meadows on Saturday morning and remembers seeing anything suspicious to contact police immediately.

“We will have high-visibility police patrols deployed within the Meadows for the time being to offer reassurance to the public and to engage with anyone who may have information relevant to this enquiry.”

People are now understandably cautious.

People are now understandably cautious.

The Tab Edinburgh

last seen today at 11:19

Get breaking Edinburgh news straight to your WhatsApp.

Find out who has made it into Clubbers of the Week, Teviot nachos news and all the goss from Pollock, straight to your DMs. 😘