Second year convicted of supplying ecstasy to Medic who died after tragic fall

Alexander Baskhanov admitted supplying Ben McLean with the pills before his death

Second year Alexander Baskhanov has been convicted of supplying medic fresher with ecstasy.

Baskhanov twice gave Ben McLean ecstasy pills twice in the hours before his death.

His body was found in the back garden of a flat in Newington on the morning of January 16, after falling from a second-floor window.

Baskhanov, 19, appeared in Edinburgh Sheriff Court on November 6 and pleaded guilty to two drug charges, including possession of LSD.

Ben McLean

According to the Daily Record, Baskhanov, a fresher at the time of the incident, asked for a lighter sentence due to the lack of money made from his dealing, with his defense claiming his deals were a “social supply” as the defendant only made £30 to £40 from them.

McLean was attending a party in Newington with flatmate William LaThangue on the night in question.

Prosecutor Gary McMullan said: “The accused attended at around 9.30pm and supplied Mr William LaThangue and the late Ben McLean ecstasy tablets.

“Later on that evening, Mr LaThangue and Ben arrived at the La Belle Angele nightclub with others and the accused. Whilst in the club, the accused again supplied Ben McLean with another ecstasy tablet.”

It is thought that after returning to their flat on West Preston Street, McLean fell as other students were asleep in the flat.

According to McMullan, once the body had been discovered “police officers carried out inquiries, which revealed that the accused had supplied the ecstasy to Mr McLean and Mr LaThangue. At around 3.30pm, police officers detained the accused concerned with the supply of controlled drugs.

“Whilst waiting for other officers to arrive, the accused indicated to officers that he possessed the controlled drug LSD. It was found to be 10 squares of LSD.”

Baskhanov, a Russian and Business student, is due to be sentenced on November 26.