Durham University ranked 58th in the UK, according to new league table

The uni fell 42 places from last year’s rankings

A new university league table published this week ranked Durham as 58th in the 100 best universities in the UK, and the third best university in the north east.

Carried out by Uni Compare, the survey ranked Durham above University of Sunderland and Tesside University and behind Newcastle University and Northumbria University respectively.

Here’s the best to worst ranking of north east universities:

1. Northumbria University
  2. Newcastle University
  3. Durham University
  4. University of Sunderland
  5. Teesside University

Uni Compare asked past and present students who started uni in 2022 or before to give their universities a score based on four different aspects of student life: Accommodation, course quality, student life, and graduate careers.

Emails were sent to all students who use Uni Compare, which generated a response of over 65,000 data points and more than 13,000 reviews.

Durham University received a score of 3.83 for accommodation; 4.05 for course quality; 3.95 for student life; and 4.26 for graduate careers. Additionally, 92 per cent of the students surveyed said they would recommend Durham.

These scores placed Durham 58th out of the UK’s 100 best universities, down 42 places from Uni Compare’s 2022 table. Out of the 100 best universities in England, Durham placed 49th.

This ranking comes after Durham was seventh overall in both The Times Good University Guide and The Guardian’s rankings rankings for 2024, down one place from the respective 2023 tables.