Cardiff University has dropped seven places in The Times’ latest UK league table

One department was ranked the best nationally

Cardiff University has dropped seven places in The Times’ latest UK league table.

The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide for 2025 has ranked Cardiff Uni 32nd which places it two positions better than The Daily Mail’s recent rankings.

The guide ranks 134 universities across the UK and is known to be the most definitive in its university rankings. The universities are assessed based on a series of factors such as teaching quality, student experience, research quality, graduate prospects and more.

According to the Good University Guide, Cardiff University’s teaching quality scored 78.8 per cent with 81 per cent of students achieving a first or 2:1 in their degree when they graduate.

The uni also scored 85.1 per cent for graduate prospects and 76.1 per cent for student experience.

The research quality at Cardiff Uni scored 56.7 per cent and the continuation rate of students projected to carry on past their first year is 96 per cent.

Ranking 32nd has placed Cardiff Uni five places ahead of Swansea University and 62 places ahead of the University of South Wales, which placed 94th.

The Good University Guide also ranked universities by individual subjects based on the same factors as the overall institutional ranking, one of which being Celtic studies, a subject which is only available at 11 universities in the UK, where Cardiff was ranked 1st.

A few other subjects that Cardiff University made the top 10 in include architecture at third, subjects allied to medicine at sixth, communication and media studies, which was also at sixth, radiography at seventh, East and South Asian studies, too at seventh, and then finally, physiotherapy at eighth.

The university also scored in the top 20 for a number of other courses such as, psychology, nursing and social policy.