University of South Wales student revealed as drug dealer following unrelated police chase

Robbi Islam has now been sentenced following a two year delay

A University of South Wales accounting student has avoided more time in prison after being sentenced for dealing drugs.

After a two year delay in sentencing, Cardiff Crown Court heard that the student had turned his life around since and had engaged in volunteering.

Robbi Islam, 24, had been caught with 18 grip-seal bags of cannabis after a police chase in Grangetown, Cardiff, WalesOnline has reported.

Prosecutor Josh Scouller said officers had spotted a silver Mazda along Penarth Road that flagged up as uninsured, they then chased the vehicle as it sped off. Islam eventually stopped the vehicle turning and running off on foot, before he was stopped.

Officers found three mobile phones on him as well as 18 bags of cannabis totalling over £300 value.

Snapchat messages revealed he had been selling cannabis and was often referring to the drug as “ammo”.

Islam had admitted possession of the Class B drug with intent to supply and had been dealing in order to pay off a drug debt.

He was imprisoned in late 2019 for possession of cocaine and heroin with intent to supply, which followed a community order for drug driving.

However, after two years, Islam has only just been sentenced. He has been given a 16-month jail term suspended for two years, as well as 19 sessions of thinking skills, 10 days of rehabilitation activity and £300 of prosecution costs.

Hannah Friedman said her client had “little awareness of the scale of the operation” and there was no real evidence of financial gain.

Friedman also revealed that Islam has passed all his exams and is now in the final year of his Accounting course. He has “changed his life” and “hopes to gain employment as an accountant” she commented.

She added that he “volunteers for the Cardiff Bay community centre, helps train children on a football team, volunteers for a men’s support group, and has been engaging with the Muslim community in his university.”

Judge Lucy Crowther ruled: “If I sent you to prison today for an offence so long ago, the punishment on you and others would be disproportionate.”

Islam told WalesOnline that he was grateful that the judge was able to see he’d changed his life. He added that “part of the lesson was having to go through the consequences and understand it rather than being told it.”

Image Credit: Google Maps