Confirmed: UCU marking boycott going ahead at Cardiff University

The boycott will mean all assessment related duties will not go ahead

Cardiff University has sent its students an email confirming that it will also be participating in the marking boycott for all assessments that are submitted after the 20th April.

This comes after the University and College Union (UCU) had announced its plans, earlier this month, for a marking and assessment boycott in 145 universities around the UK.

The ballot was renewed at the beginning of April and the strikes were extended for six months after the UCU received overwhelming support from the university staff of 145 universities. A total of 70,000 members of university staff have participated in these strikes and are supporting the further decisions made by the UCU.

In the email sent by Claire Morgan, Pro Vice-Chancellor of Education and Student Experience, students are also being made aware that they can reach out to Student Connect to get some extra information and support.

The email said: “I appreciate this will be unsettling as many of you continue to prepare for your exams. Please be assured that as a university we will do everything we can to minimise the impact of this latest industrial action on you, particularly if you are due to graduate this summer.

“Please get in touch with Student Connect or visit us in the Centre for Student Life if you’re worried about anything and would like to speak to someone.

Related stories recommended by this author:

• Cathays remains unbeaten and once again ranks as the most crime-ridden area in Cardiff

• UCU announces marking and assessment boycott due to start later this month

• New train station to open in Cathays in 2o24 with direct access to Cardiff Bay