Aberystwyth Uni and Bangor Uni have been shortlisted for University of the Year 2023

Welsh universities have been nominated for 11 out of the 12 award categories

Aberystwyth University and Bangor University have both been shortlisted for Whatuni Student Choice Awards: University of the Year 2023.

Cardiff University, Wrexham Glyndwr University, Swansea University, University of Wales, and Cardiff Metropolitan University are also up for awards.

The nominations and results are based on over 35,000 student reviews from across 92 different high-educational providers.

This is the first time that Aber Uni, which is celebrating its 150th anniversary, has been nominated for this award; last year Bangor Uni scored highly, coming in fourth place.

Aber Uni is also nominated for awards for the Lectures and Teaching Quality, Halls, Facilities, and Student Life awards.

Professor Tim Woods, Pro Vice-Chancellor for Learning Teaching and Student Experience at Aberystwyth University said: “We take great pride in the student experience we offer at Aberystwyth University and are delighted to have been nominated for five awards, including University of the Year, by Whatuni Student Choice Awards this year.

“As is the case with the National Student Survey, which shows our students to be amongst the most satisfied in the UK, these nominations are based on reviews by students themselves and reflect the commitment of our staff across the University to providing the best possible learning experience for our students.

“Our thanks to the students for their support and to our staff for all their hard work.”

Bangor University’s Pro Vice-Chancellor Education and Head of Human Sciences at Bangor University, Professor Nichola Callow said: “Bangor University is delighted to be nominated for University of the Year and across a range of other categories in this year’s Whatuni Student Choice Awards, including Lectures and Teaching Quality, Students’ Union, Accommodation and Postgraduate.

“We are a university which believes in providing support for all students to embrace opportunities, have the chance to develop, and realise their ambitions – with students at the heart of our decision-making. The Bangor University community is delighted that our students have shown their support and appreciation by nominating their University in these awards.”

Cardiff Uni has been nominated for the Students’ Union, and Student Life awards, whilst the University of Wales has been nominated for the Lectures and Teaching Quality award. Cardiff Met is also up for one award which is Career Prospects.

Swansea University has been nominated for six awards, which is half of all categories universities will be trying to win, including Career Prospects, Lectures and Teaching Quality, Student Life, Postgraduate, International and a submission-based award called “Cost of Living”.

Wrexham Glyndwr Uni is in the running for five awards which are: Career Prospects, Lectures and Teaching Quality, Student support, Postgraduate, and International.

The winner of each category will be announced at a black-tie event in London on 26th April.

Feature Image Credit: Google Earth