A vigil was held in Bute Park in memory of Ashling Murphy

It will be there for another week for people to pay their respects

C.W: violence, death 

A vigil was held for Ashling Murphy on the 16th January at 1pm in Bute Park. The event began with a walk from the Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama to a tree near the Secret Garden Cafe where the vigil took place.

Murphy, a 23-year-old primary school teacher who was attacked and murdered by an unknown assailant on the 12th January, while out on a jog.

Jessica, the organiser of the vigil, wanted to make people aware that it would stay for a while: “The vigil will be there for at least another week so please feel free to stop by and leave some flowers or a candle. It’s located in Bute park, at the beginning of the lane leading to the Secret garden cafe.”

She also said that she wanted to use the vigil to raise awareness of the gender-based violence and asked that this be a wake up call so that “no more women have to needlessly die”.

Jessica called on more men engage with this issue as gender-based violence will not end until everyone rallies together: “An event like this vigil for Ashling, means an insane amount to women. I knew that all of the emotions around something so tragic like this happening would just be bottled up if we didn’t have the opportunity to collectively cry and grieve and pay tribute to her, so it felt very special to us. Although, I didn’t know everyone there, there was an overwhelming sense of unity and solidarity.”

One of the participants at the vigil told The Cardiff Tab: “I think it’s important for more people to become aware of the dangers of being a woman and simply trying to live peacefully without the fear of being attacked”. She also said that the event meant a lot to those who attended and it was a very touching and emotional occasion.

For anyone wishing to pay their respects, the vigil will remain there for a week. Please feel free to leave flowers and candles at the base of the tree. If you or anyone you know needs support regarding violence against women, please contact these organisations:

• Welsh Women’s Aid’s Live Fear Free Helpline: 0808 8010 800.

• The Wales Domestic Abuse Helpline: 0808 801 0800.

• Cynfannol Women’s Aid (includes access to emergency accommodation): 0330 056 4456.